starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalled after first deload. fuck man, help me.

Default Stalled after first deload. fuck man, help me.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ok guys, i'm on the advanced novice program, i'm talking about squats btw.

It was my heavy day last night, I was going for 313*5*3, after successfully doing 308*5*3 on monday.

My first set I managed 2 reps, then did a second set of two reps and gave up, I was so pissed off to fail so miserably,

I was eating perfectly all week, and consumed 8 doughnuts before working out to give me the energy, I felt fine, but I just couldnt do better than two sets of two.... The only thing I can think of is not getting enough sleep, I didnt sleep well monday night, maybe got 2 hours in, and it might have carried over to friday - although I did have a nap before my workout.

I recently worked back up from my first deload last month where progress stalled at 290.

My plan is to try 308 again on monday and hope fri was just a shit day, If I fail on 308 i'll know a deload is in order and deload 10%.

Or you I should just switch to TM?, it's just strange that I was making steady progress and then it all fell apart with only 2 sets of 2....

Thanks for any input.

I know what your problem. You need a more intensive deload. Rip details this in the novice chapter of PPST, both editions.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslin View Post
    I recently worked back up from my first deload last month where progress stalled at 290.

My plan is to try 308 again on monday and hope fri was just a shit day, If I fail on 308 i'll know a deload is in order and deload 10%.
    I wouldn't give up on novice progression just yet. Milk that shit for all it's worth. Look at it this way; you stalled at 290 and got to 308. Progress is progress and as you get more advanced, you're going to be thankful for every pound you gain on a lift.

Don't switch to TM until you have deloaded at least once, preferably twice. Advanced novice can last quite a while. I did my first deload at 315# for 3 of 5 and after that first deload rode it up to 355# for 3 of 5. Everyone has bad days once in a while.

thanks for responses guys, thought rip recommended a 10% deload?, might be wrong though...

He recommends two types of deloads in PPST. You might want to go with the 2nd one.

Just to update, I rested all weekend, and ate a big chocolate cake a couple of hours before mondays workout, the workout was great, I managed 310x5x3, it was hard, and i thought I was gonna pass out at the end, but it felt completly different to fridays workout, hopefully I can keep progressing another 10-15 lbs before a big deload...

I will have to try chocolate cake in the future...

Just a thought..have you thought about lightening your jumps? You may be at the point that 5# is too much to increase each workout.

Aslin, you're probably feeling like you're going to pass out at the end of your workout because you've used up all the sugar from the cake and you're running out of steam. I find my best results come after a double bacon cheeseburger (a good one, not mcdonalds) and a liter of milk. I give it a half hour to settle down, then I'm good to go. I used to always have a peanut butter sandwich, but that didn't see me through to the end of the workout.

starting strength coach development program
    I know that if my preworkout nutrition is sub-par, then my workout will be also.

Personally, whole milk + an apple on the way to the gym keeps my energy levels constant. If it's been a few hours since a meal I'll throw a little whey in with the milk.

-Hat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast