starting strength gym

Thread: Where to fit accessory exercises on TM?

Default Where to fit accessory exercises on TM?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am going to start TM this week and was just pondering a few things.

The intermediate training chapter of PPST2 emphasises that accessory exercises are very useful for an intermediate and that this is the best time to include them.

I will try TM with the example JQ template given in the book to begin with. But I was wondering where exactly I should put extra exercises when I feel the need?

Monday is a high volume stress day which is likely to be a very long workout anyway so extra work here would probably be too much.

Wednesday is a supposed active rest day to keep motor pathways honed, so I guess this is a bad time.

I am thinking Friday might be most suitable? After new PR's are attempted? or would they interfere here?

Does anyone here have any examples of how they have included extra exercises into a TM template?

For the record, I am thinking of putting in 3x12 of somekind of shoulder exercise. Perhaps bottom end press partials, perhaps DB pressing. I have shoulder problems, and over the past few weeks have found these to help.

You can check my log to see how I've done it. (in the intermediate section.)

I added accessory work for low back and abs on the recovery day and accessory work for arms on the intensity day.

I like to call it accessory work, but in all honesty its more like ego work for me... I do arm work on recovery day and intensity day. Barbell curls on both days, cuz it seems like biceps never get sore. Alternate weekly weighted dips and unweighted higher rep dips on intensity day. Weighted decline situps on both days as well. I also find active recovery for the lower back to be extremely helpful.

As long as I take it fairly easy on the situps and lower back Wednesday, Friday's heavy lifts aren't affected.