starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aspiring tank

Default Aspiring tank

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Started my wichita falls novice program 22/04 2010. I have been lifting before, but didn't had access to a barbell for around a year after moving to Thailand. I'm still in Thailand and have finally managed to find a relatively decent gym. I'm doing The Wichita Falls Novice Program. I think I can keep following this program for a couple of months.. after that I'm looking to do the texas method. I'm not really training for any sport, just want to get big and strong.

My stats 22/04 2010:

Height: 200 cm
    Bodyweight: 93 kg

Squat: 60 kg (3 x 5)
    Bench: 60 kg (3 x 5)
    Deadlift: 100 kg (1 x 5)
    Chin ups: 8, 5, 4

My stats 07/06 2010:

Height: 200 cm (no change here )
    Bodyweight: 111 kg

Squat: 122, 5 kg (3 x 5)
    Bench: 85 kg (3 x 5)
    Deadlift: 140 kg (1 x 5)
    Chin ups: 10, 6, 5 (I've encreased reps while increased bodyweight dramatically)

Before picture (from summer 2009, probably under 90 kg here.. before a thai boxing match in a bar

"After" picture from about a week ago, at 110 kg:

Monday 07/06 2010:

Squat: 122,5 kg - 3 x 5 (felt very heavy, eyes ready to pop out)

Press: 18,75 kg -3 x 5 (not too bad)

Chin ups: 10, 7, 5

Wednesday 09/06 2010:

Squat: 125 kg, 3 x 5 reps (pretty fucking hard, but easier than my last workout)

Bench: 87,5 kg, 3 x 5 reps (no problem)

Deadlift: 145 kg, 1 x 5 reps (easy)
    Last edited by jonesjitter; 06-09-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Saturday 12/06 2010:

I worked out in the morning, only had 5 hours of sleep the night before the workout and had no food but only a liter of whole milk before hitting the gym. Didn't had any other options so I just went for it.

Squat: 127,5 kg, 3 x 5 reps (I used a belt for the first time ever. They were definetely very hard, but the belt made me able to focus more on pressing instead of stabilizing the core)

Press: 60 kg: 5, 4, 3 reps (So I missed 3 reps, i was very tired at this point, I'll try with the same weight next time and see what happens)

Chinups: 8, 6, 4 reps... didn't had much energy at all at this point. Could have banged out a couple of more reps, but didn't really felt like it.

I'll cut the milk and all the double cheeseburgers for now.. to cut a little fat away. My tanita scale says I'm 26% fat.. i don't know if it's that bad, but I definetely have too much fat. I'm not overly concerned with it since I has always been skinny and was down at 8% while crossfitting, but I don't want it to get too much out of hand.

Monday 14/06 2010:

Morning weight: 112,1 kg

Squat: 130 kg, 3 x 5 reps (squats are never easy, but these were a lot easier than my last workout, even with the increased weight)

Bench: 90 kg, 3 x 5 reps (no problems - the bar slowed down on the last couple of reps, but pretty easy I'd say)

Chin ups: 11, 7, 5

This workout was fucking awesome! I went to bed at 9 PM last night to get a lot of sleep. I woke up at 3 AM feeling rested, so I headed down to the kitchen and ate 5 eggs and some fruit. Went back to sleep and slept until 9.30 am. When I woke up I felt better than ever. Our maid had already prepared a nice big steak and some fruit when I woke up. I ate that and a couple of other meals. A couple of hours after lunch I had a protein shake, some fruit and a very black coffee. Then I headed straight to the gym.. energy was better than ever.. really awesome workout :-)

Thumbs up

Wednesday 16/06 2010:

Morning weight: 111,6 kg
    Fat: 26,5%
    FFM: 77,8 kg

Felt a little sick today. Sore throat and a headache when I woke up. Slept pretty bad too. I think my aircondition was too cold. Anyways - a couple of meals later and a big cup of coffee I hit the gym.

Squat: 132,5 kg, 3 x 5 (a lot harder than last time. It didn't feel nearly as good, but I managed to complete all the reps. I really had to press with everything I had in the last couple of reps in each set)

Press: 60 kg, 5, 5, 4 reps (so I missed the last rep, but at least I did better than last time with the same weight)

Deadlift: 150 kg, 1 x 5 (Easy. Every time I deadlift it feels like I was born to do exactly that. I can obviously lift a lot more, but I take it easy and follow a slow linear progression. Let's see when it starts to become hard).

Notes:

I just found out that I've forgotten to count in the collars in the weight I log here, so I can probably add 5 kg to every lift. Nice I will bring a kitchen weight to the gym next time to make sure how much they weight.

Also it struck me how strict my deadlift has to be. I work out in a pretty sissy gym for rich people in an exclusive marina. It's not really the best place for heavy lifts, but it seems to be the only place on this island where they have a squat rack. Anyways - I can't make any kind of noise while deadlifting, so I have to do it so controlled and perfect that it makes no sound while I put down the weight. Interesting challenge - in the past I used to make more noise than a metallica concert while lifting - let's see for how long I can keep the silence and how much noise they are willing to tolerate.

My butcher preparing 3 kg's of australian beef tenderloin for me:

Good to go, should be enough for the next week, combined with some other cuts:

First of all, nice progression.
    I had a questions though, was it because of the added weight that your face changed from white to black?

On a serious note, isn't your progression more appropriate in the Starting Strength Training Logs (since you are still in a novice variation, and not intermediate yet)?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasfromSparta View Post
    First of all, nice progression.
    I had a questions though, was it because of the added weight that your face changed from white to black?

On a serious note, isn't your progression more appropriate in the Starting Strength Training Logs (since you are still in a novice variation, and not intermediate yet)?
    Ha, ha - as you know a real body transformation includes a nice tan

And yes, you're right. When I created the log I thought it was depending on your level of strength compared to Rippetoes standards - if anyone wants to move it to the right category feel more than welcome.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesjitter View Post
    I just found out that I've forgotten to count in the collars in the weight I log here, so I can probably add 5 kg to every lift. Nice I will bring a kitchen weight to the gym next time to make sure how much they weight.
    Seriously? What kind of collars are these?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast