starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dips in Starr routine

Default Dips in Starr routine

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was reading an article by Bill Starr called "Banish the bench", wich outlined a routine for incline, dips and OH press. Something just caught my eye:

If this is a new routine for you, do each of the exercises once a week. The incline fits best on the heavy day, the dips on the light day and the overhead work on the medium day. That adheres to the principle, since you’ll use the most weight on the inclines, the least on the dips and something in between on the overhead exercises. Keep in mind that light in this case does not mean easy. You’ll push the numbers up every time you dip. The same goes for the overhead presses. Lean on the top-end lifts ad try to improve them weekly.
    This doesn't seem right. I can easily pump out reps doing bodyweight dips, even back when I just started training. A bodyweight incline press, let alone an overhead press, however, requires the limits of my strength.

I would think dips are a better choice as a heavy day exercise.

Did I miss something? Am I the only one able to dip more than press? Or are dips somehow less stressfull?

Perhaps he means the least amount of added weight?

Quote Originally Posted by skills101 View Post
    Perhaps he means the least amount of added weight?
    Perhaps, but that still wouldn't make sense, you're still lifting bodyweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Fox View Post
    Perhaps, but that still wouldn't make sense, you're still lifting bodyweight.
    Which makes sense, it just doesn't work that way.

There are a myriad of factors involved but the weight used is all relative to the specific movement you are talking about. You even already said it yourself that dips are very easy for you, and thus would make sense on the light day, where as Inclines are hard (heavy), and presses are harder yet (medium).

It almost works backwards if we want to use your way of reasoning (which makes sense, just is incorrect). The inclines will use the most weight, involve the most muscles and will thus be harder to recover from. The presses will use less weight yet more than the dips, more muscles than dips yet less than inclines, and will be hard to recover from but easier than dips and harder than inclines. Dips follow this same logic as using the least muscles, and being the easiest to recover from.

It really all is relative and can change depending on a trainees strength/weaknesses, but Bill Starr knows his shit. I hope I've helped and not made the water any murkier.

-Hat

Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post
    Which makes sense, it just doesn't work that way.

There are a myriad of factors involved but the weight used is all relative to the specific movement you are talking about. You even already said it yourself that dips are very easy for you, and thus would make sense on the light day, where as Inclines are hard (heavy), and presses are harder yet (medium).
    What you are saying now is:

dips, easy => light day
    incline, harder => heavy day
    OH, hardest => medium day

If you put dips on light day because they are easy, then OH presses should come on heavy day, because they are the hardest. This is the opposite of how heavy/medium/light is defined. The heavy day should have the highest workload and intensity. An easier exercise simply means more weight can be used, meaning higher workload and intensity.

It almost works backwards if we want to use your way of reasoning (which makes sense, just is incorrect). The inclines will use the most weight, involve the most muscles and will thus be harder to recover from. The presses will use less weight yet more than the dips, more muscles than dips yet less than inclines, and will be hard to recover from but easier than dips and harder than inclines. Dips follow this same logic as using the least muscles, and being the easiest to recover from.

It really all is relative and can change depending on a trainees strength/weaknesses, but Bill Starr knows his shit. I hope I've helped and not made the water any murkier.

-Hat
    This post doesn't really clarify anything. On the contrary.

Perhaps an example would make thing clear. Let's assume a 3 day a week program, doing a set of 5 for each pressing exercise:

Monday: dips 5xBW+30kg (BW=70 => 5x100kg)
    Wednesday: Incline 5x80kg
    Friday: Press 5x60kg

In this example, dips use the most weight, next are inclines, and then presses. This also mean dips are easier, inclines are harder and presses are hardest. Based on the workload and intensity, monday would be a heavy day, wednesday a medium day and friday a light day.

I know that the weight that can be handled in a specific exercise differs from person to person. But I cannot imagine anyone being able to OH press more than he is able to dip. Am I wrong here?

Even though I know Bill Starr knows hes shit, I would like to understand myself.

By the way, it doesn't really matter a lot wich is light and wich is heavy, because it doesn't matter where the light day falls.

Perhaps we can compare dips to the squat? When squatting, you're also moving (parts of) your bodyweight, but nobody counts that, or even thinks of it, and the "heaviness" of the squat is always just the bar and plates.

(Disclaimer: I can't do a single bodyweight dip yet, so they certainly feel heavy for me. And I'm probably not qualified to say anything.)

I shall make it simple then.

Assuming each lift is loaded to the same relative intensity:

Inclines/Bench - hardest to recover from.

Press - hard to recover from, but not as hard as Inclines/Bench

Dips - Easiest to recover from.

Each lift listed above engages the same muscles (upper body, core is irrelevant in our comparisons), however their respective roles in each lift is lessened as we go down the list so that the most muscle activation occurs in Inclines with the least activation occurring in dips with presses falling somewhere in between.

Is that more clear?

-Hat
    Last edited by hatmanii; 06-07-2010 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Padron-McCarthy View Post
    Perhaps we can compare dips to the squat? When squatting, you're also moving (parts of) your bodyweight, but nobody counts that, or even thinks of it, and the "heaviness" of the squat is always just the bar and plates.

(Disclaimer: I can't do a single bodyweight dip yet, so they certainly feel heavy for me. And I'm probably not qualified to say anything.)
    I have considered that. 2 remarks on that:
    1) a bodyweight squat is far easier than a bodyweight dip.
    2) when comparing heavy/light/medium days, you will always be comparing between squats, so the bodyweight doesn't really matter.

I shall make it simple then.

Assuming each lift is loaded to the same relative intensity:

Inclines/Bench - hardest to recover from.

Press - hard to recover from, but not as hard as Inclines/Bench

Dips - Easiest to recover from.

Each lift listed above engages the same muscles (upper body, core is irrelevant in our comparisons), however their respective roles in each lift is lessened as we go down the list so that the most muscle activation occurs in Inclines with the least activation occurring in dips with presses falling somewhere in between.

Is that more clear?

-Hat
    Very clear.
    However, it simply repeats the statement made in the article, and the problem remains.
    Why?
    Why are dips easier to recover from?
    Why is there less muscle activation in dips?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Fox View Post
    Very clear.
    However, it simply repeats the statement made in the article, and the problem remains.
    Why?
    Why are dips easier to recover from?
    Why is there less muscle activation in dips?
    Because.
    Because the triceps are the major mover and recover quickly.
    Because the triceps are the major mover with more or less everything else being used for stabilization.

If you want actual science on the matter you will have to go and research that yourself.

BTW - Do you have a link to the article in question or is this out of one of Starr's books?

-Hat

starting strength coach development program
    Because.
    Because the triceps are the major mover and recover quickly.
    Because the triceps are the major mover with more or less everything else being used for stabilization.
    How about the shoulders and chest? They're not just for stabilization, they actively flex the shoulders.

BTW - Do you have a link to the article in question or is this out of one of Starr's books?

-Hat
    I have the article in text format on my computer, don't remember where I got it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast