starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended Books, in addition to Rip's

Post Recommended Books, in addition to Rip's

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm finishing off an Amazon.com order and was wondering what other books on training and nutrition I should get.

I already have SS, PPST and Taubes' Good Calories Bad Calories.

Thinking of getting:
    MOMG
    Something by Pavel (which one?)

Any recommendations?

Dreschlers encyclopedia of Olympic Weightlifting.

I dont actually have it myself, as it is rather expensive in the UK. But it is heavily recommended by all "people in the know" like Rip.

"Dinosaur Training" by Brooks Kubrik - that will get you really fired up for training.

Has any one read "Gray hair and Black Iron" by Drucker?

Read the promo- but was long on flashy statements without giving enough actual info to be able to tell if it's worth it.

By Pavel:
    -Power to the People
    -Beyond Bodybuilding
    Brooks Kubik: Dinosaur training
    Steve Justa: Rock Iron Steel
    Mel Siff: Supertraining

5/3/1 by Wendler. It's only $20, and since it's an ebook you get it the second you buy it.

Verkoshansky has put out a new edition of Supertraining (he was involved with the first one with Siff)

Protein Power by Eades and Eades if your interested in more nutritional reading.

Also check out the movie Fat Head for more nutrition info..

Bill Starr: The Strongest Shall Survive. It's an excellent, if a little dated, book. Nice to have it for the history.

But other than that, I wouldn't waste your time with anything else. Things like Supertraining are all theoretical wankery. You'll spend a few weeks reading it but not be any the wise on what to actually apply to your training. And other books, like Cressey's and Wendler's, are primarily peddling their routine and if you are not going to be doing their routine there is very little, if anything, in them that you can take away.

And this is coming from someone who has bought quite a few books in the past. Rip's books (SS and PP) are probably the only ones you'll ever need. You learn by lifting, not reading anyway.

starting strength coach development program
    Not a book, but the Starting Strength DVD was well worth the price IMHO. It really helped to see the lifts done live w/ Rip coaching. My press form definitely benefited, and the other lifts all got a touch of improvement.

I agree with Smack to the extent that you don't really need anything else until you are well into your intermediate phase and looking for ways to add complexity & diversity to your training. The only thing I can think of that you might want sooner are books focused on met/con or gpp work if you want to work on some other aspects of conditioning.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast