starting strength gym

Thread: Intercostal cartilage / lower left rib injury

Default Intercostal cartilage / lower left rib injury

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I wore a belt too tight and squatted, now my left lower rib has hurt a lot in the last 7 days. I thought it was getting better, but then I went and squatted and pressed anyway so now it's back to hurting some more.

I found a lot of people on bb.com in particular with that injury (though from leg pressing, hehe) and PMing a few tells me it takes 3 to 6 weeks to heal.

Have some of you guys had the injury, and if so, how was the healing process? Did anyone train through the injury successfully?

If I could train through it for a month, then I have my 2 weeks of vacation in a weird foreign country who's training technology is limited to soccer, so I'll get plenty of rest then.

does it hurt when you take a deep breath or cough? mine doesn't so im just working through it at the moment.

Only when I take a really deep breathe, one that would extend my chest up. Thinking of it, hiccups/cough did hurt at first, but they don't now, even though it does hurt more now than 2 days after the injury. So I guess it is somewhat healing.

I would say work through it if you can, especially if it's already getting better. I was at my doctors yesterday for other reasons and mentioned my rib injury and he just said it was bruised, no big deal.

I tried to work through my tear recently but I spent a few weeks failing to deadlift 135lbs for a set due to excruciating pain that stopped my breath. I stopped all pulling from the floor for 3 weeks and it got better. I was able to squat with no pain at all, however.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    I tried to work through my tear recently but I spent a few weeks failing to deadlift 135lbs for a set due to excruciating pain that stopped my breath. I stopped all pulling from the floor for 3 weeks and it got better. I was able to squat with no pain at all, however.
    Did it get perfect after 3 weeks? How long till you deadlifted your max again? (sorry, I get the feeling I asked this on another thread)

starting strength coach development program
    I think we're having this discussion in 3 threads now

If i recall correctly, i screwed around for 3 weeks, then I gave up for 3 weeks and then I was back to normal. I didn't just blast away at a max again, but I was deadlifting 240 (I hurt myself at 265) on my first session back.