starting strength gym

Thread: RC injury and benching

Lightbulb RC injury and benching

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys,

8 weeks, I injured my rotator cuff. I gave up bench press for a month and got back to it about 3 weeks ago.

Prior to my injury, I could bench my own weight for 3 sets of 5 reps (about 165 pounds). Now, I fail after three reps at 155 pounds. I don't feel no pain in my shoulder, I just feel week pushing the bar up.

BTW, I've been doing a shoulder rehab circuit once to twice a week for about three weeks now, but I don't see much progress.

Is there something more I can do?

Please advise.

How tall are you?
    The standard advice around here at your body weight (unless you are really short) is to eat more and drink more milk.

What is your diet like?

I'm 6'1 and 8-10% bf. I'm lightweight; that's why I eat plenty of meat and drink 2 liters of milk every day. I am aware some might say I could eat even more and drink a gallon a day, but I'm still making strength gains on my other lifts.
    Last edited by Rambo; 06-10-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Eat more burgers.

(I'm not being an ass, seriously, eat burgers and your bench will go up).

If you really want to rehab an injury you have to give up all heavy work for a week or two to see any improvement. Just focus on high reps with very light weights, the types of exercises which target RC muscles and can be done in a very controlled manner.

Dont be afraid to use 2.5lb dumb bells for stuff!

If doesnt show any improvement after a while, you may have a capsule injury. The ligament like tissue that binds (and cushions) your humeral head to your glenoid. Some of it may be damaged, it is, not amount of muscle strength building will help. In fact it is likely to make it worse.

What's your rehab routine like?

Did you have pain in your shoulder before you had your injury? (I like to know warning signs).

I've been doing a silly rotator cuff routine for a while now because I hate leaving the gym too fast. My bad of course. I experimented a lot and settled on these personally to cover what I *think* are all the different rotator muscles:

-Barbell always held at shoulder height with elbows at 90 degrees, rotate shoulders to above head and then back to your stomach. Bonus point if you hit your skull on the way up.

-The opposite of the above, ie. pulling downward but with a bar fixed to a cable. Actually this is the one area I have trouble since I always mess up and use my biceps, especially when I was using 1 hand only.

-Finally, sword sheathes! You hold a small dumbbell with your right hand to your left hip, and pretend to pull it like a sword to shoulder height at 45 degrees toward the right, with your pinky finger facing up.

Dunno why I just wrote this. Does it show badly I have ADD?

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks guys.

I went to see a md today. He told me I injured my anterior deltoid and that it just needs time to heal.