starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sergeant's Olympic Weightlifting Log

Default Sergeant's Olympic Weightlifting Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    For all intents and purposes, my "Carry on Wayward Son" log, in the General Training Forums, is now defunct. It never really went anywhere anyway.

An Olympic Weightlifting coach has set up shop here in my hometown at the Crossfit facility. He currently has several lifters competing in the area.

Long story short, I signed up with him and will be competing within the year.

Yesterday evening was my first session. I was evaluated for overall flexibility, and we then worked snatch drills. Focus was tight back and loose arms. The entire movement was taught in stages, progressing from PVC pipe to the bar to bar + 5 kg. A few overhead squats (snatch grip) were included. Afterwards, 10 kg was loaded to the bar to practice the initial pull, stopping at just above the knees.

Final drills included box jumping (not sure of the height, it was only 12 inches or so), reaction drills (sprint a very short distance at the coach's command), and "relaxation" drills (hang from a pull-up bar and relax the body; the coach would pull on my legs to determine level of relaxation). Also drilled squats for a few reps.

The coach is out for a few days - I think he's assisting the U.S. team somewhere. Next training session is Tuesday evening. Clean and jerk drills will be the focus.
    Last edited by sergeant_81; 09-20-2010 at 01:33 AM.

will be watching your log - just started in March myself and first meet at the end of July.

Thanks. Honestly I'm not sure when my first competition would be - the coach is currently focused on breaking my bad habits and starting from the ground up. I don't think I'm going to be moving any significant weight for awhile.

Nevertheless, we'll be drilling the C&J tomorrow evening, and I'm stoked.

He was probably at nationals. someday you might go too.

Hol-eee shit.

Today was supposed to be C&J technique drills; instead, I walked in and the coach looked at me with a grin. Told me that the goal was to have me crawling out on all fours by the end of the session.

Well, I didn't crawl out on all fours, but I feel like I've been hit by a truck.

Most of the work was snatch drills with light weight, but a bit heavier than last session. Lots of reps. Some from the hang, some full, and a few snatch landings; most reps at 40 kg. Focus, as always, on tight back and loose arms. Loaded up heavier to 70 kg for initial pull drills from the floor for 3x5, focus on using the legs, stopping at just below the knee. I had trouble with being tight and unrelaxed today and it caused a few problems.

Afterwards, high-bar squats, focus on tight back and knees out, 4 or 5 sets of 8 (can't remember) working up to 70 kg.

Back extensions, 3x10 bodyweight.

Abdominal work (holding a static position).

Sprints, about 15 meters, over 10 or so low hurdles, 5 to-and-fro for 10 total.

Afterwards, stretching, and I was told to go home, take a very hot shower and a few ibuprofen, or I would regret it in the morning.

It doesn't look like much, but halfway through I was a hurt little puppy. I immediately recognized my conditioning as not being up to par. The coach told me not to worry - we'd get there soon enough.

Session #3 tomorrow...

Clean-and-jerk drills today. Coach had me work on my own with the bar and a pair of technique plates for a bit to see what I had ingrained and what my understanding of the movement was.

After 10-15 minutes of this, we worked on extension and jerk technique. This was followed by a series of complexes, which went as follows:

Power clean - power jerk - front squat - jerk - drop bar - set up and full clean.

I worked up to 60 kg on these.

Afterwards, loaded to 80 kg and worked initial clean pulls to just below the knees, 3x5. Moved on to squats from there, 5 reps each of 20 kg (bar), 50 kg, 60 kg, 70 kg, 80 kg.

Wrapped it up with a few football-style runs in place, 3 sets 10 seconds each. Stretched and called it a day.

An interesting exchange occurred halfway through the workout, involving another lifter:

Coach (to Lifter): You think he's ready for Mucho Grande?
    Lifter: Mucho Grande? Nah. Maybe a couple more sessions.
    Coach: You think so?
    Lifter: Yeah. Couple more sessions.
    Coach: Ok.
    Me: Mucho Grande?
    Coach: You no worry about Mucho Grande. You find out.

Uh-oh.

Next session Friday evening. Stay tuned...

sounds like you have a sadistic coach. the best sort.

Snatch drills tonight.

Snatched with bar and training plates, then worked various iterations of the movement at 40 kg. These were as follows:

Muscle snatch, 3x4-5

Power snatch followed by overhead squat, 3 reps

Power snatch followed by 4 overhead squats, 3 sets

Full snatches, 3 sets of 3

I'm having to focus on finishing the pull. The coach says I'm too focussed on dropping underneath the bar, and as a result I'm losing the bar forward. I also need to learn to stay tight at the bottom.

After technique drills, worked snatch pulls to just below the knee, 60 kg for 4 sets of 5.

Upright rows and curls, 20 kg (bar), 3 sets of 6 reps each. I know these seem out-of-place - coach stated my arms are a bit weak and we need to strengthen them up a bit to attain a solid overhead fix.

Good mornings, 1 set with the training bar, 3 sets of 5 at 40 kg.

Squats, up to 80 kg, various rep ranges.

Stretched and called it a day. I asked the coach about Mucho Grande again. He just grinned, shook his head, and said he'd see me tomorrow.

Stay tuned...

Quick post as I have errands to run -

Trained this AM, sort of a "Bulgarian day."

Worked up on front squats to a final 4 sets of 2 @ 80kg.

5-minute break, then on to snatches, working up to a 55 kg single. I kept missing on the way up, so we worked the last single as a power snatch followed by an overhead squat.

5-minute break, clean-and-jerks, working up to an 85 kg single.

Next training session Tuesday - might elaborate on training later on in the day -

Stay tuned...

starting strength coach development program
    Good to see that you got coaching sarge! Im staying tuned for muche grande

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast