starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Might be gaining too much fat?

Default Might be gaining too much fat?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Im probably just paranoid like every other skinny kid but i think i maybe gaining too much fat. For those that dont know, im a lacto-ovo vegetarian by religion(meat isn't allowed, dairy products are). In 1 month of SS, and after learning how to perform the lifts properly, this is my progression:

Numbers are for sets of 5, Power Clean is for sets of 3.

Squat: 135 -> 185
    Bench: 125 -> 140
    Deadlift: 165 -> 225
    Press: 75 -> 100
    Power Clean: 80 -> 125

Chins: 5 -> 8

Bodyweight has gone from 169 to 186.

Here is a link to my diet: http://www.startingstrength.com/reso...2&postcount=55

My main concerns are:

1. I still have not passed BW for sets across on squats. I dont want to end up being 200 lbs and squatting 190 for sets across.

2. Im not saying i want to keep my abs(as i have never had any abs), my pant size has not gone up but i feel as if i put on a good amount of fat.

I am drinking my milk.

Did anyone else ever go through this?

You didn't do the program. Your squat only went up 50lbs and your bench 15lbs. You eat too many carbs for your strength and I think you're overestimating your protein, especially breakfast, might be wrong though. The gallon of milk does not equal success, you still have to work hard. Also without eating red meat and not listing vegetables, you're probably deficient in some micro nutrients.
    Last edited by Adam M; 06-10-2010 at 04:18 PM.

If you are around 5'8" and similar to me, 185 pounds probably put you around 18-20% of fat and will be sufficient to carry you to a 260 pound squat *easily* by eating slightly above maintenance at least, assuming you rest and get enough protein. As a vegetarian, given that you'll now need to stop drinking GOMAD, you should look into milk-based protein powders (whey and casein) so that you can get your calories from meals, and extra protein from these. They are extracted from milk so they are about as good IMO. Better than doing GOMAD and not eating anything else.

Your weight might even be enough to get to 315 at a rate of 5 pounds per workout but then I got injured at 260, so what do I know, I can't squat for a few weeks now

GOMAD is good for gaining weight fast and if you're my height, you probably already gained enough weight to be currently at the optimal bodyfat % to build muscle (18-22%), so I suggest you maintain weight until you have around a 260-280 pound squat before going up again.

You should have been more aggressive indeed on the benchpress, but you did OK overall for a first month - mistakes and underestimating our adaptation are things we all do when we begin. What really matters now that is within your power is to understand that you can maintain your first month's pace of progress for a good 5-8 more weeks, so don't slow down - and try to increase a bit faster on the bench - it should increase faster than the press and power clean.

Squats will feel harder soon, but you should still be able to add 5 pounds per workout for these 5-8 weeks which will get you to nearly 300 very soon. Try and start eating a lot once you get closer to the end of that, rather than right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Moncrieff MacMillan View Post
    You didn't do the program. Your squat only went up 50lbs and your bench 15lbs. You eat too many carbs for your strength and I think you're overestimating your protein, especially breakfast, might be wrong though. The gallon of milk does not equal success, you still have to work hard. Also without eating red meat and not listing vegetables, you're probably deficient in some micro nutrients.
    Should he just take multivitamins? Are there pills specifically for vegetarians that provide what they are most likely missing?

By the way, I do have an issue with being quick to tell people they didn't do the program. Not everyone reads the book cover to cover before their first workout, and then re-reads every chapter to triple-check their understanding of form and to fix every single problem by their second workout. It takes time to read and learn, especially if you are busy, and doing things wrong early (For example, unknowingly squatting high because you don't remember every single thing you just read because it was unknown territory at the time) can set you back early. His bench sucked, but I find his squat progress is acceptable given my argument above, provided he keeps it up now that he is done learning the basics.

Keep re-reading the book though to find and fix issues as they come up!

you aren't gaining too much fat if your pants size hasn't went up. mine went from 32 to 36 in 4 months. im now going shopping for size 38 this weekend. give me a break dude!

Accept getting a bit soft. It isn't a big deal. With the kind of discipline you're learning in diet and the kind of weight you'll be moving in a month you can drop fat easily. Get strong.

Man...your squat should have gone up 30 lbs in the first week. And if you've never squatted before, it could have gone up another 30 lbs in the second week. You should be squatting 225 by now. Similarly, your deadlift should be around 255, since you should have been taking 15 lb jumps.

Lacto-ovo would mean that you eat eggs, do you?

Vegetarian diets are inevitably higher in carbs. So you will find it harder to maintain a high protein/low carb ratio. Have you talked to J.Schaeffer about this? I know you went for squat coaching.

One of the main ways in which GOMAD functions for weight gain is that it is high in carbs/sugars. If you are drinking a lot of milk, especially at bedtime, it will of course help you get fat.

It may be worth considering something like Kefir or yoghurt instead which has a higher density of protein than milk.

I notice your are taking muscle milk, that includes more extra carbs/weight gainers.

If you going to be drinking a lot of milk & carbs, perhaps focus most of it to post workout.

But if your calorie intake really is 6420kcal, your are probably getting more than is necessary. So it would not hurt to cut down a little.

Your protein count of 350g is also more than is necessary based on the 1g per lb of BW rule.

In my opinion it would be very useful for you to take a vitamin & mineral supplement. Vitamin B6 in particular is necessary for the metabolism of amino acids.

Bill Starr wrote in his book, that you need 1mg of B6 for every 1g of protein, otherwise it just goes to waste.
    Last edited by Dastardly; 06-11-2010 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Bill Starr wrote in his book, that you need 1mg of B6 for every 1g of protein, otherwise it just goes to waste.
    RDA for B6 is 2mg/day. At 1g of protein per pound of body weight, you'd be recommending 100x the RDA for a 200# person. This can't be right.

starting strength coach development program
    RDA isn't about becoming a monstrous lifter. It is about not dieing early. RDA also doesn't recommend 1g/lb protein. Basically, i'm saying it is a moot recomendation for our situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast