Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting stuck really fast

Default Getting stuck really fast

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,
    I have some serious recovery problems.
    I tried to start "the program" several times during the last 2 years, but always stalled after 2 or 3 weeks. I tried increased protein/kcals, this gave me another week or so before getting stuck, but made me fatter (I am already quite fat, ~265lb, 6'5'').
    I gave SS another chance about a month ago, but now I've hit the ceiling again: My knees are aching, I feel dizzy during the day and I am to weak to repeat my workouts from last week. (Kcals were 3,5-4k, keeping my weight quite constant.) I increased the weight very coutious, I don't think this is my problem.
    Any suggestions? My Thyroid and my iron level are ok, had those already checked.

What were your numbers?

If you're dizzy through the day you must have some sort of defficiency. Water or salt perhaps? How much water do you drink and do you eat much salty food? Are you doing a no-carb diet or something? Do you drink milk?

Lack of sleep could explain a lot of this, too. Really there's lost of ways to explain it, but are any of these striking a chord?

Aching knees screams "bad form" to me. Have you read the book? Could you post a video?

3 to 4 liters water per day, should have enough salt. No GOMAD, as I didn't want to gain weight, but half a liter with breakfast and one liter post workout. Did try to keep carbs somewhat clean, but didn't eat atkins-style.
    I sleep about 8 hours/night.

Weights were quite low, e.g. 150*5 FS (ATG, can't BS* at the moment, due to terrible gym, I am looking for an alternative) 100*5 Press or 140*3 PC. Increased those by 20-30 pounds during the last month.
    Form... there could be to much forwardleaning during FSs, knees are out.

I have read the books (SS + PP) and have proper shoes.

My own guess: I could be increasing the weights to fast for me, but the increase fits with Rips suggestions.

*Last year I tried SS in a proper gym, BS started 135, stalled after 3 weeks at 180, could get another 15lb on the bar after a resett.
    Last edited by HellJoe; 06-12-2010 at 02:31 AM.

When is your last meal before hitting the gym?

3-4 hours earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by HellJoe View Post

Weights were quite low, e.g. 150*5 FS (ATG, can't BS* at the moment, due to terrible gym, I am looking for an alternative) 100*5 Press or 140*3 PC. Increased those by 20-30 pounds during the last month.
    Form... there could be to much forwardleaning during FSs, knees are out.
    This seems fine to me. Front squats can be tricky in terms of technique, and rely on less muscle than back squats so will progress slower.

In terms of the time when you tried with back squats, you may have picked a weight that was too big. Also your bodyweight may be holding you back if it is a lot of fat.

Maybe try having a meal closer to when you workout. I usually get a meal about and 1hr-1hr and half before hitting the gym. Also when you say stalling do you mean stalling on all your lifts? Or only your front squats.

How long are you resting between sets? Are you doing any other kind of work/training that might be interfering with recovery?

You say you are quite fat (although 265 @ 6' 5" doesn't sound that fat unless you are starting from total couch potato & have really skinny shoulders/small bones), and eating more calories/protein made you fatter. This implies that you cut that back from your trying to eat more level. While if you are fat, you probably eat enough calories to recover, make sure you are getting enough protein, and that you are getting protein pre & post work out, along with some simple carbs post workout. Eating three hours before is a bit long, and you don't mention your post workout eating which is critical for recovery and strength growth.

How is your sleep? Are you getting your eight hours a night?

If you are doing front squats you are probably not going to be able to increase the weight as fast, as it is not using as much muscle as a back squat. You also depend a lot on a couple of your quad muscles in the digging out of the hole on the FS, and if you are weak in these you may see these get stressed a lot after the weight starts getting higher until they get developed more. So, don't necessarily program them by making 10 pound jumps per session. Even BS are supposed to be 10 pounds per session for a couple weeks, then less. And, as you are having recovery issues, make sure you aren't trying to push progress too fast, especially when you are not eating a lot.

starting strength coach development program
    • No other training, 8-9 hours of uninterrupted sleep.
    • Nutrition: I ate ca 150g protein/day. Directly post-workout I drink 1 liter of milk, at home I eat something else with protein, for example tuna-salad or some eggs.
    • I wear 42 to 44 inch jeans, so it's more fat than muscle.
    • Stalling: FS (or in the past BS) first, everything else 1 or 2 workouts later. PCs started feeling slow a tad before the FS. Looks like rather typical overtraining, but shouldn't happen so early...
    • I'll try to eat something closer to training, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast