starting strength gym
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Weighted Chins Propaganda Thread

Default Weighted Chins Propaganda Thread

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    As a few here know, I am a huge fan of this lift. Here's a video of me hitting a PR with my preferred form from today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m44LRe3vyU

Imho, weighted chins respond pretty much to the same things as everything else does. Which, in my book, are:

* High-ish frequency (2-3+ times per week)
    * Heavy but submaximal loads (lots of stuff in the 70-85% range) using low-ish reps (sets of ~3-5)
    * Cycling of volume/intensity. I.e. periods where you focus a bit more on getting a lot of tonnage, other periods where you tap into your limit strength.
    Last edited by blowdpanis; 06-11-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Youtube was being a whore, and the video was temporarily not working. Should be good to go now.

Wtf? No attractive 135lb women in your area?

Quote Originally Posted by SamGriffin View Post
    Wtf? No attractive 135lb women in your area?
    I actually did a chin with a 110 lb girl wrapped around me at one point at a gym I worked at. Works better if they hold on from the front, for those interested in this excellent feat.

where do i sign?

master blowdpanis i think my body also responds to low rep work. 5 dead hangs are brutal for me but i can do 10 sets of 3. when do you think should i incorporate weighted ones aside from the usual 10-15 reps on the first set?

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    where do i sign?

master blowdpanis i think my body also responds to low rep work. 5 dead hangs are brutal for me but i can do 10 sets of 3. when do you think should i incorporate weighted ones aside from the usual 10-15 reps on the first set?
    I don't honestly believe the 10-15 reps on the first set thing, and it's never how I trained people. My rule was as soon as they could do 5 ideal looking reps, I'd consider adding weight, even just for sets of 3.

A good place to start if you can do 5 dead hangs and 10 sets of 3 would be 3 sets of 3 done ~2-3 times per week, adding weight linearly over time. Bear in mind even a dip belt is another 2-3 pounds, so that can be the first increment. I wouldn't add more than ~2.5 lbs at a time, and only do that if all 3 sets feel "crisp" and not "forced."

At some point, that will stop working, and you can retest your ability to rep stuff out, or a 5 RM, and I promise you it will have increased. From there you get options like multiple sets of 5, increased volume on the 3's (maybe 4 or 5 sets), etc. But the idea is submaximal, low-ish rep, reasonable intensity (the 70-85% range works well for most of training needs imho), and decent frequency "practice" of a lift.

Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    I don't honestly believe the 10-15 reps on the first set thing, and it's never how I trained people. My rule was as soon as they could do 5 ideal looking reps, I'd consider adding weight, even just for sets of 3.

A good place to start if you can do 5 dead hangs and 10 sets of 3 would be 3 sets of 3 done ~2-3 times per week, adding weight linearly over time. Bear in mind even a dip belt is another 2-3 pounds, so that can be the first increment. I wouldn't add more than ~2.5 lbs at a time, and only do that if all 3 sets feel "crisp" and not "forced."

At some point, that will stop working, and you can retest your ability to rep stuff out, or a 5 RM, and I promise you it will have increased. From there you get options like multiple sets of 5, increased volume on the 3's (maybe 4 or 5 sets), etc. But the idea is submaximal, low-ish rep, reasonable intensity (the 70-85% range works well for most of training needs imho), and decent frequency "practice" of a lift.
    Just to see what happens, I'm going to do the exact opposite of what you suggest. Weighted sets of 10, making 5 lb jumps, done once per week.

Not out of spite, mind you...this is what I was planning on doing anyways, since I'm on 5/3/1 and this fits that program better. But if (and when?) this falls flat, I'll try out your recommendations.

thanks!

some day i will chin my girlfriend....some day.

That is awesome.

starting strength coach development program
    How big are the gunz?

Just curious as a rough chin strength to arm size guide.

Nice work btw.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast