starting strength gym

Thread: P90X + Strength Training

Default P90X + Strength Training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I received news today that my workout buddy is starting up P90X with his wife in order to bring her into the fitness fold a bit. I can't blame him for doing this because that program seems like a better fit for her. For now, he is going to try to do both P90X and the CF Football programming that we have been doing at the same time. I am worried he might start overtraining.

Has anyone done this or have any ideas about how to make it work? I realize it is not an ideal situation. At any rate, I may soon need to find a different workout buddy.

Yeah, I know, P90X sucks, blah blah. But seriously, has anyone tried adding a real strength routine to P90X and been successful?

If he subs out the conditioning work for the P90X stuff, then yes it should work fine (as sub-optimal as that would be). If he plans on doing both the strength and conditioning work + the P90X stuff, he is going to fail hard.

-Hat

I've never known someone to succeed on P90X, nevermind combined with another program. I know 3 people that have tried and got nowhere.

There's a bunch of people at work (Fire Department) that do the workouts on shift and have seen weight loss results. But most of these people were untrained individuals. But I think that if you scale the weights correctly, you should see some weightloss.

The program is just a rediculous superset of cardio intensive movements.

-Hat

P90X is six days a week, at least 90 min per day. How would they have time for anything else? Also, yes, P90X is just cardio circuits with bodybuilding movements/rep ranges.

Somewhat unrelated to original post, but does anyone else get sick of dumb people asking you if you do P90X?!?!?!

"Wow, you're alot bigger since last time I saw you; you must be doing P90X?"

No, no, no... a thousand times no. P90X works cuz it has a very specific diet plan, and reveals what little muscle is hiding behind the general population's copious layers of fat. If done correctly, however, it kicks your ass and would most certainly interfere with real strength and mass gains.

P90x itself is enough to dance on the line of over-reaching/training, adding even more on top of that could be a bad idea. John's program is tough as it is, and P90x is just way to much volume to be added on.

starting strength coach development program
    Well, he's going to find out soon. He is definitely going to skip the WODs and just do the strength portion. Apparently tomorrow is one hour of "plyometrics" so we'll see how he feels about deadlifting. heh