starting strength gym

Thread: high reps for me.

Default high reps for me.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    first of the all,sorry to my english.
    I am on intermediate level.

for long anaerobic activity such as 200m sprint,is high reps squat useful?
    Or don't high reps and more DE sets?

Mon- 5 X 5 squat

Thur - DE squat Or high reps squat. what is better for me especially 200m activity?

Back before I stopped playing competitive football/soccer, the thing I found that was best for my conditioning was incomplete rest interval-training (400m and miles). What I found to best partner that and help drive the improvements in the intervals was higher rep (around 10), short rest interval squats. I figured it was all about lactic acid tolerance, and nothing produces lactic acid like repping squats.

As you would expect, my strength went down, but I was willing to make that trade off. My squat was already more than acceptable for my choice of activity, and I felt the metabolic advantage this switch gave me was more beneficial than maintaining that level of strength.

Given the demands of my sport, the decision was clear cut. For yours, it is not so simple. You too need lactic acid tolerance for the final 50M, but you can't afford a negative impact on your top speed which could go in hand with dropping the heavy squats in favour of lighter ones for reps. There may also not be as much carry over to your finishing speed for the 200M as there was for me at the mile given the relatively slow speed of movement during squats even in the 10 rep range.

This may take some experimentation, but you might find yourself better suited to leaving the squats for strength/peak power and doing the sprint endurance/metabolic training from something more specific, such as over-distance sprint intervals. I would be interested to hear what you decide and how it works. Please give us the updates.

Default Thank you very much.

Thank you very much good reply for me.

your think very reasonable and logical and i'll consider it.

Thanks to inspire me.

I would agree. Dont mix your strength work with your metabolic conditioning work. Weights for strength. Sprint Intervals for metabolic conditioning. Look at this deadlift centric program

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/269/

This is pure strength work (2-3reps).
    I would increase the frequency of your strength work, and drop your reps/increase working weight. You dont want to add mass if your goal is increasing power to weight ratio