starting strength gym

Thread: Knee Problem

Default Knee Problem

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I injured my knee in October doing high rep cleans with crappy form. It was not a traumatic injury, just some soreness. There was little internal swelling in the knee, but no pain and no restricted movement. After that whenever I squat below parallel, I get a popping sound on the outside of the knee, as if the ligament is caught and then snaps into place. There is no pain, but the pop is clearly audible. Based on my online research, this would seem to indicate either a meniscus tear (likely) or ITB syndrome (possible, but with no pain, less likely). Recently, this seems to have gotten worse. This could be due to me getting a little lazy with my warm-up, inadequate volume on my iPod (therefore I hear it pop more) due to lower squatting frequency (I have switched from SS/Texas Method to 5/3/1) or the injury is getting worse. I’m hoping to get some input from those of you with experience managing these types of injuries. Does my self-diagnosis sound right? Can I manage this, given there is no pain and no ROM limitations? Will I destroy my knee if I continue? I’ve never had any luck going to doctor’s for past injuries, and absent any pain I consider that a last resort.

No pain then you dont have an injury you have noise.

I don't no an athlete that doesn't crack pop and snap when they train. Noise doesn't mean a problem. It could be some calcium knocked loose or built up etc. Unless you have pain i would ignore it largely. and don't do any more stupid shit.

get a pair of neoprene TK knee sleeve to get the knees nice and hot before and during training

Thanks Phil. I'll just turn up my iPod!

I'm a big fan of the podcasts, by the way. Keep 'em coming.