starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mitch's Log

Default Mitch's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Been lurking on here for a while, finally decided to start a log.

I'm using Texas Method primarily now after some time on a novice program; I probably could have got further with novice program but was starting to find having to set PRs every session to be very mentally taxing. My upper body strength lags my squats and deadlifts so I'm going to try and continue to progress linearly on bench and press.

I train early morning before work and my diet and sleep is often less than ideal but I'm willing to accept the slower gains now. I'm 6ft 3 and c.110kg.

Monday 14th June

Squat 5 x 5 @ 147.5 kg
    Felt good, got a bit tired towards the end of sets 4 & 5.

Lateral Shoulder Raise
    3 x 10 @ 9kg
    Right shoulder still giving some problems, trying to focus on holding it down and back and felt pretty much fine doing this

Welcome. I'm looking forward to follow your log. Why are you doing lateral shoulder raises?

Wednesday 16th June

Squat: 2 x 5 @ 120kg
    right adductor/hamstring a bit tight but squats felt fine

Seated Row: 3 x 8 @ 63
    Doing these instead of chins until I see physio about shoulder

Cable Press: 3 x 12 @ 55
    Likewise doing these instead of bench, I feel I'm more able to control my shoulder blade doing these

Back extension: 2 x 10 @ BW, 3 x 10 @ 15kg
    One of those 45 deg benches, got a bit worried that I was going to tip over when holding 15kg as there is little weight to it. Back was knackered afterwards, felt better by time I'd left gym though.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesjitter View Post
    Welcome. I'm looking forward to follow your log. Why are you doing lateral shoulder raises?
    I injured something in my shoulder doing a heavy set of bench presses a few weeks ago, it didn't feel right starting out the set but I decided to push through and then felt something bad happen towards the end of the set. I've dislocated it and had surgery on it in the past so I'm a bit sensitive about doing any more damage to it.

I'm not quite sure what I need to do to it to make it better so for now I'm doing light weights with exercises that don't hurt it, I'm seeing a physio tomorrow who can hopefully help me out. I don't think the Starr protocol applies here as it doesn't feel like a muscular problem. I have a small lump on the top of my AC, have pain in the front when doing certain movements and can feel something grinding when pulling my shoulder back. Hopefully I can get back to benching and pressing in a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I injured something in my shoulder doing a heavy set of bench presses a few weeks ago, it didn't feel right starting out the set but I decided to push through and then felt something bad happen towards the end of the set. I've dislocated it and had surgery on it in the past so I'm a bit sensitive about doing any more damage to it.

I'm not quite sure what I need to do to it to make it better so for now I'm doing light weights with exercises that don't hurt it, I'm seeing a physio tomorrow who can hopefully help me out. I don't think the Starr protocol applies here as it doesn't feel like a muscular problem. I have a small lump on the top of my AC, have pain in the front when doing certain movements and can feel something grinding when pulling my shoulder back. Hopefully I can get back to benching and pressing in a week or so.
    Let's hope so. Keep us updated after the physio.

A few guys around here have a history of shoulder dislocation and subsequent shoulder pain associated with benching. They've found that exclusively pressing has helped a lot.

So I went to see the physio today and he thinks that it's not a problem with my shoulder but with my first rib, which was pulled up out of place by my trap when I was benching heavy. This is now pinching one of my rotator cuff muscles and giving the pain I'm feeling in my shoulder. He poked around my right trap and there were a couple of tender points compared to my left side, he then spent a lot of time pulling my neck around and putting pressure into my shoulder and trap (this gave me quite a strange headache). Good news is that he doesn't think there are any lifts I shouldn't be doing, just that I should do some extra stretches and rotator cuff work, and to make sure I'm pulling my shoulders back when benching. I'm due to press tomorrow so I'll see how it goes.

Friday 18th June

Squat: 1 x 5 @ 162.5kg
    Felt really good, like 165 would not be a problem. It looks a little to me (I squat in front of a mirror) like my right elbow is much higher than my left but it feels ok on my back so I'm not worried.

Press: 3 x 5 @ 55kg
    First time doing these for a couple of weeks and felt good. Will stick with 2.5kg jumps for now.

Power Clean: 5 x 3 @ 75kg
    These also felt good, found it harder on my lungs than anything else as I had to cut my rest periods down a bit to make sure I wasn't too late for work. Will go for 80 next week.

A good session, TM in the squat seems to be working well for me and I find it a lot less mentally draining only setting PRs once a week. I can work hard on Monday, look forward to Wednesdays session instead of seeing it as a chore, and then get really fired up for Friday. Clearly I'm progressing slower than if I was setting PRs every session, but I think this is the more sustainable option for me now.

Strong work on the squats, Mitch. How long have you been lifting?

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks tescott, I'm 25 now and have been lifting on and off since I was 20, although I found Starting Strength about 18 months ago.

My training is based around the rugby season, so I have a period of a 2-3 months a year (now) when I'm focusing on strength. The rest of the time I'm just trying to maintain those gains, or working on strength in conjunction with conditioning and speed work, or injured. I think I got to a squat 5RM of around 150kg last summer, hoping to hit 4 plates (180kg) before the start of this season.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast