starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 Rep Squat progression

Default 20 Rep Squat progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I started 20 Rep Squats last week. I probably should have worked on my conditioning a bit before starting the program, but I didn't.

The squats are going great - maybe I can contribute my better lower body conditioning to many many years of soccer, idk.

First day I did bench, I did 12, 10. I attributed those last two missed reps to just a poor workout, moved up 5 lbs next workout, then did 12, 10. Next workout I decided that I should stick at my current weight...12, 10.

Similar problem with press.

Normally I wouldn't make such a big deal out of it, since it's just been a few workouts. But this is only a 6 week program so I want to get the most out of it.

What I've been doing, an A/B split:

Bench/Press 2x12
    Squat 1x20
    Pullovers 1x20
    Chinups/Rows 2x15
    SLDLs 1x15

I think it's a conditioning issue since I've been doing 3x5 or 5x5 for months, so I'm working on conditioning in the meantime...did some burpees, pushups, squat-weight-throw-things, clean & presses, etc...maybe start doing some barbell complexes...

So do you think I should increase the weight and see what happens, or stay at the same weight until I get all my reps in?

I'm sure it sounds like a stupid question but like I said...don't want to miss out on anything in a 6 week program...

how is your eating, how is your sleeping?

Both are good, added 2-3 lbs first week, around 4500-5000 cals/day including ~2/3 GOMAD, and a consistent 7.5-9 hours of sleep each night.

Pre-workout usually includes ~20 oz milk and something with carbs....bagel, fruit, toast w/ peanut butter, whatever is around...

I'm also doing a powerlifting style bench because I adopted that style about a month ago, and I wanted to keep doing it on a hypertrophy routine since it recruits the pecs more, although I'm wondering if it's hurting my progression since it's so damned hard to keep tight for 12 reps of PL bench...

Also doing strict press from a pause at the bottom.

You probably shouldn't trust my word on this, since I've never done a 20-rep squat program and you're probably stronger than me, but here it is anyway.
    My impression of 20-rep squats is that it's not really about the bench to begin with, so missing a couple reps at the end could probably be accepted as long as you're hitting your squats good and hard, and the bench numbers keep going up without missing progressively more reps.
    The other thing I wondered about is how are your rest periods between sets?

I'm probably not stronger than you because I'm weak as shit (235/285/190 3x5), I just want to get fast aesthetic results ATM, and I just really wanted to do the program because I have a summer with nothing to do and I thought it would be a great time to push myself knowing I can get consistent sleep and food.

Rest periods are being kept to ~90s.....which reminds me, I need to find my creatine, maybe that will help.
    Last edited by DaveSev; 06-16-2010 at 11:55 PM.

90 second rest periods between your bench sets? Most people take 3-5+ minutes between sets of 5, and you're doing sets of 10-12 and expecting to get by with 90s?
    But yeah, creatine should help you get those last couple reps, so should extending your rest sets.

I'm pretty sure hypertrophy routines call for less rest between sets.

While on a strength routine I do take 3-5 minutes breaks between sets.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSev View Post
    So I started 20 Rep Squats last week. I probably should have worked on my conditioning a bit before starting the program, but I didn't.

The squats are going great - maybe I can contribute my better lower body conditioning to many many years of soccer, idk.

First day I did bench, I did 12, 10. I attributed those last two missed reps to just a poor workout, moved up 5 lbs next workout, then did 12, 10. Next workout I decided that I should stick at my current weight...12, 10.

Similar problem with press.

Normally I wouldn't make such a big deal out of it, since it's just been a few workouts. But this is only a 6 week program so I want to get the most out of it.

What I've been doing, an A/B split:

Bench/Press 2x12
    Squat 1x20
    Pullovers 1x20
    Chinups/Rows 2x15
    SLDLs 1x15

I think it's a conditioning issue since I've been doing 3x5 or 5x5 for months, so I'm working on conditioning in the meantime...did some burpees, pushups, squat-weight-throw-things, clean & presses, etc...maybe start doing some barbell complexes...

So do you think I should increase the weight and see what happens, or stay at the same weight until I get all my reps in?

I'm sure it sounds like a stupid question but like I said...don't want to miss out on anything in a 6 week program...
    Not to be a jerk, but YNDTP.

If you want to do the 20 rep squat program you've got to change a few things.
    1. Squat first
    2. Squat HARD!!
    3. Stop the conditioning work. Remember Don't run if you can walk, don't walk if you can stand. Don't stand if you can sit. Don't sit if you can lay down, etc. This is not the time to improve your conditioning or body composition.

Finally, the rules of progression still apply in your other lifts. Don't add weight unless you're getting all your reps. I understand why you're trying to limit your rest periods, but I'd probably lengthen them to 2-3 minutes. If you're pushing the squats like you're supposed to you should be pretty gassed by the time you get to the other movements.

20 rep squats are great, and will work if you let them. It takes a lot of courage and will power to truly do the program and you deserve big props if you gut it out. I wish you luck!

See food diet helps the 20 rep suck less

starting strength coach development program
    Did I read this correctly above?
    • You squat 235 pounds for 3 sets of 5
    • You have been doing barbell training using 3x5 or 5x5 for months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast