starting strength gym

Thread: hobbling to the board for advice again...

Default hobbling to the board for advice again...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The world is my coach.....

Ive posted a couple of times asking for help with my routines. Against some of the advice before, Im still looking at more volume on deadlift- mostly because Im a lousy puller and it bugs me. So, Im running the Finnish Deadlift 7 week cycle and, because I love to press, Ive started incorporating stuff from the Bill Starr article- putting dips and occassionally. press starts

Heres how my week looks

Mon- Squat 5X5
    Press 5x5 1-2 back off sets at 50% for 10.
    Dips - working to unweighted set of 20- for now 5x 10,5,5,5,4

Tues - Cleans 5x4 for warmup
    Deads 4x10 or 5x10 at the percentages reccomended.
    Bent over rows 5x5
    Chins- 4x5 (or something like that-usually too fried to do much)
    Bench press- 3x5

Thurs- Squat 5x3
    Press 5x3 plus back off set.
    Dips.

Fri- Cleans 5x5 (light)
    deads according to program (4 or 5X10)
    Bent rows 5x5 or t-bar rows.
    Bench- 3x5 or 5x5
    Squat- 10x10

So far everything is moving up, slowly and I feel fine- squat is now 315 for 3, Press moved up to 165, and my deads had moved to 320 from 300- Ill be testing that again in 6 weeks I guess.

Not sure what to ask- I just know there are guys on here who can program way better than I can who can pick holes in what Ive figured out for myself.
    The volume on Deadlift is working for me- Im guess Im trying to figure out a better way to program squats and bench with all of this.
    My bench- always the least favorite lift is completely suffering- lve moved from 185 down to 175. but I dont have much energy or interest in it to spare for that one. Probably focus more on that in the late summer.

numbers
    43, 6' 200lbs
    sq 315 x3
    press 155-165 x 3
    bench- 175
    Dead 320x1

My dead number is 3 weeks old- probably higher now.

Any advice is welcome. Wish Bomb1977 were still around- he'd know what to do...... Thanks for all past advice- it's been very helpful.

My goals are simply to maintain progression and have fun doing it until I die.
    Last edited by JM3; 06-19-2010 at 09:07 PM.

Um, if your current programming is only so-so, but you acknowledge that you proceeded against the advice you got before, maybe you should try what you were advised to do in the first place?

Just a thought.

Thanks Ian.
    I listened to the other advice and took some of it- I didnt take all of it because it wasnt germane to what my body was telling me.
    Mostly what I didnt heed to was the perfectly sound/standard advice around lowering my volume.
    Adding volume on the Deads - both in my last six weeks and so far (2weeks +1) on the Finnish Deadlift cycle (can post a link- but I reckon you know it) is helping me- Ill see in a couple of weeks- but I feel great easing up intensity for a minute and doing a routine with lots of practice of the movement and adding more assistance work.
    Same with Press- I just liked that Starr piece a lot and decided to run that concurrently.

Guess Im just looking for guidance on what to do with Squat and Bench- does:

Mon 5x5
    Thurs 5x3
    Fri 10x10

for squat make sense?
    and does:

Tues 5x5
    Fri 5x5

For bench makes any sense?

my squat is going up- yesterday was PR (315) and today I banged out 10X10 (140) with less difficulty than ever -
    I have to add: yesterday did several massages, worked out, played a gig until 2am,did both load in and load out with no help, drank my ass off, and slept 3 hours before packing kids off to school cutting the grass and going lifting again- only shitty part is my bench is detrained by 10lbs, and I feel like Jane Fonda in Do Wins doing my 100 squat thing- asking for guidance from the greats on all of it- but particularly that.

Just dont understand how you strong motherfuckers do all this Ian...can you help an old man?
    Last edited by JM3; 06-19-2010 at 09:07 PM.

Pardon my ignorance, but can you no longer make gains simply by deadlifting heavy for a set of 5 every week and adding weight each time?

That's correct-
    Im asking for advice about how to fit squat and bench into the week in the context of what Im doing with DL and Press.
    Thanks

I think the article you are referring to is the Bill Starr one.

starting strength coach development program
    Indeed it is. thanks. Ill edit.