starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: progress after deload

Default progress after deload

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi All,

I'll try to make this short. I deloaded on all my work-outs, and it's a similar case with all of my lifts. I'll use the standing press as an example.

I was able to go from 35kg - 37.5kg - 40kg - 42.5kg - 45kg without any problems. Once I hit 45kg, it took me two workouts to get the full 5 reps, 3 sets. Then I moved onto 47.5, but was only able to do 3, 2 2 (both times I tried), so I went back down to 40kg.

Here's my question: if I was progressing from 40kg - 42.5kg - 45kg...but my lift was VERY slow...and I struggled to get the weight up on the last reps each set, should I have advanced the next press workout? Or should I stick with that same weight for another workout until I can do them in a relatively comfortable and quick fashion? Not sure if I'm making sense here, but I'm worried that I was advancing too quickly when my form was probably suffering at the expense of getting the weight in the air and the rep finished.

2.5kg jumps in the overhead press is probably a bit excessive. Have you tried microloading?

Quote Originally Posted by TrackJunkie View Post
    2.5kg jumps in the overhead press is probably a bit excessive. Have you tried microloading?
    The lowest weights the gym has are 1.25kg weights. I have visited two shops here in Tokyo that sell weights (there's not a big call for weight lifting here in Tokyo), and the lowest they have that would fit the bar would be 1.25kg. I have been trying to come up with something smaller to put (or hang) on the bar. The ideas given in Starting Strength (or is it PP?) are not an option to me (filing down the weights, finding those huge washers, etc.).

Any ideas?

How is buying large washers not an option? I'm pretty sure tokyo has nuts and bolts, so they must have washers, right?

You could also grab a length of chain that weighs .75 or 0.5kg and hang one from each end of the bar... I think you need to use the search function.

Gain some more weight, you shouldn't have to microload until you get to around 70kg 3*5

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    Gain some more weight, you shouldn't have to microload until you get to around 70kg 3*5
    Just curiosity, how you got to this figure? ... cause I haven't found any stats of him, weight, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    It seems to me that, just like you're a novice until you're an intermediate, you probably don't have to microload until you have to microload, regardless of how much weight you're pushing; assuming proper nutrition, etc.

Yeh you guys are right in that different people have to microload at different times. Also you may be right that jab50 is old, a women ect, got a condition, but if not most young men even without great genetics can get to a measly 135lbs press for 3*5 (hell most people in the gym use this weight as their first warmup set) by adding 5lbs, if not you're a) not trying hard enough, b) diet sucks or c) there are other recovery, injury issues going on.
    Last edited by beast; 06-21-2010 at 06:47 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm not trying to be an asshole by the way, i now cringe on some on the shit i used to do, like thinking i needed microloading at 50kg too, needing to move to the texas method when i stalled on 120 3*5 squats, thinking i needed haltings + rackpulls at a deadlift of 180kg for 5, doing westside when i could only squat arounf 140 and bench 100, doing floor presses and shit, i bet i look liked such a pussy to all the people in my gym. Funny times!
    Last edited by beast; 06-21-2010 at 06:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast