starting strength gym

Thread: Cashing In on Feeling Great

Default Cashing In on Feeling Great

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Have you had an awesome day in the gym? Yeah, me too. So when this happens, do you ever take your 3x5 and turn the last set into a x7 or x8 to see how far you can push it? Is there much risk in overtraining when doing this, when still on a novice progression? I'm not talking about getting greedy here, just talking about pushing out a few more reps.

It wouldn't push you into "overtraining", but it might compromise your next workout. Right now I'm on a sort of autoregulatory thing, so feeling great means I push it up, but while I was on SS, a great day just meant I'd do some assistance exercises afterwards, like chinups, or go home and do Other Stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by strengthstarter View Post
    So when this happens, do you ever take your 3x5 and turn the last set into a x7 or x8 to see how far you can push it?
    By the end of SS, I was just happy if I could finish the 5th rep on the last set

And a plateau always seems to come quick...why invite it sooner?

Going for a rep RM is encouraged by Wendler, and if you feel good, I'd say why not? Regular rep RMs tend to be very draining to me, if there's much grinding involved. Gotta eat your oats afterwards....

EDIT: On second thought I agree with the people who say not to rep out IF you are on linear programs like SS. If you follow the 531 template it's something different. Could have thought of it myself, duh!
    Last edited by dexbot; 06-28-2010 at 11:35 PM.

Lol, I had a trainee a while back who always wanted to do this on his linear progression. He'd finish the last rep of his third set of squats and be like "I wanna keep going, I'm not even tired!" I had to explain that that is not the point of LP. Ho well.

Spaceboy Guest

Usually when I have a great workout like that and I try to do a little extra, my next two sessions end up sucking badly

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob I. Briskin View Post
    Lol, I had a trainee a while back who always wanted to do this on his linear progression. He'd finish the last rep of his third set of squats and be like "I wanna keep going, I'm not even tired!" I had to explain that that is not the point of LP. Ho well.
    I used to get zealous like that...

...then the weight started getting heavier. Now I have to stop myself from thinking "FUCK! I have to add five pounds to that day after tomorrow! AND THEN another five on Friday."