starting strength gym
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BrotherIron Strength Training Journal

Default BrotherIron Strength Training Journal

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've decided to post my training routine. It's a combination of Oly Lifting (my focus), PL, and SM. I am still working out the kinks to keep progress continual and keep injuries at bay.

I train in 4 week waves where the 4th week is a deload week. The deload week gives my CNS a break. I train using certain percentages for 6 movements which are Squats (Back and Front), Push Press, Deadlift, and Bench (Flat and Close Grip). The percentages are as follows; week1 65/75/85%, week 2 70/80/90%, week 3 75/85/95%, week 4 40/50/60% (deload). I add weight each wave, anywhere from 5-10lbs. On all assisting exercises I use a 7-5-5-3-3 rep scheme and switch out the exercise every other wave. This allows me to continue to make progress, push myself, not get stale, and always have fun which is important. On all Oly assisting movements I stick to triples. The purpose is to keep my form good to build proper motor pathways and also keep from getting injured. On the Classical Lifts I perform triples, doubles, and singles. I have combined different principles but loosely I have based my training off the Russian Conjugate System, Wendler, Simmons, and my own methodology. The purpose of this training regimen is to increase speed, strength, coordination, agility, and size. Size isn't a focus though, it's a by product.

My left knee has been bothering me a bit and I pulled my left forearm goofing off during a deload week while Power Snatching.

My current routine is as follows:
    WAVE 15
    MONDAY
    LEGS:
    Back Squats (oly style)
    Front Squats (oly style)
    Jefferson Lift
    Lunges w/ Bar

WEDNESDAY
    SHOULDERS:
    Push Press
    Power Cleans from Floor / Floor
    Z - Press
    BICEPS:
    Incline Curl

FRIDAY
    BACK:
    Deadlift (conventional)
    Power Snatch from Floor / Floor
    Snatch Pulls
    Standing Good Morning (Cambered Bar)

SUNDAY
    CHEST:
    Flat Bench
    TRICEPS:
    Close Grip Bench
    Skull Crushers w/ Dumbbells
    Tate Press

Default June 21, 10 ~ Legs

Had a good workout today. Left knee is still got that twinge in it but the tightness seems to be going away. I hit the numbers I needed to and didn't struggle to hit them. I didn't push my luck since I was the only one in the gym today. Guess it was everyone's day off.

WAVE 15 WEEK 3
    LEGS:

Back Squat (Oly Style)~ 153kgX5, 173kgX3, 192kgX1

Front Squat (Oly Style)~ 130kgX5, 144kgX3, 158kgX1
    I was surprised how easy 158kg felt since 160kg is my all time best.

Jefferson Lift~ 100kgX7, 120kgX5, 135kgX5, 150kgX3
    I was tired and didn't want to press my luck so I opted not to do the last set.

Lunges~ BWX 3(10)

Default June 23, 10 ~ Shoulders/Biceps

Everyday can't be Christmas but it sure as hell felt like Christmas to me today. I crushed my Power Clean PR. I didn't bring my sleeve so I didn't train biceps to give my forearm a break. I'll hit bi's next week.

WAVE 15 WEEK 3
    SHOULDERS:

Push Press~ 106kgX5, 116kgX3, 126kgX1

Power Clean~ 80kgX3, 90kgX3, 100kgX2, 110kgX1, 115kgX1, 120kgX1, 125kgX1, 127.5kgX1, 130kgX1, 80kgX 3(3)
    130kg was my goal for the year and I hit it MUCH earlier than I expected. I had more in the tank but was satisfied with hitting 130kg.

Z-Press~ 60kgX7, 65kgX5, 70kgX5, 75kgX3
    I was fried after all those Power Cleans.

BICEPS:
    I skipped biceps since I didn't bring my sleeve for my forearm. I am going to rest it and than hit it next week.

Well that is it. I was stoked to hit 130kg. John (I train at Coffee's Gym) was happy. He told me it looked spiffy.
    Last edited by BrotherIron; 06-26-2010 at 10:03 PM.

Had a good workout but Snatches didn't go as well as I had hoped but that's life. Sometimes you win and sometimes the bar wins.

WAVE 15 WEEK 3
    BACK:

Deadlift (conventional)~ 206kgX5, 226kg3, 250kgX1
    I was only supposed to do 246kg but said fuck it and put 250kg (550lbs) onto the bar.

Power Snatch~ 60kgX3, 70kgX3, 80kgX2, 90kgX1 X1, 65kgX3(3)
    I had a small pressout on the first 90kg but redeemed myself on the 2nd.

Snatch Pulls~ 60kgX3, 70kgX3, 80kgX3, 90kgX 2(3)
    You should never do Snatch Pulls with more than 100% of your Snatch b/c this is supposed to be a dynamic movement.

Standing Good Morning (Cambered Bar)~ 70kgX7, 85kgX5, 100kgX5, 110kgX3, 120kgX2

You're probably looking at my Power Snatch & Clean and wondering why my numbers are so low. That's b/c I am finally recovered from a bad shoulder injury which kept me from performing the Lifts. This is actually my 7th week back being able to perform the lifts. My shoulder isn't 100% which is why I have to work on Power Snatching and not Squat Snatching.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherIron View Post
    You're probably looking at my Power Snatch & Clean and wondering why my numbers are so low.
    Trust me; that's not what I was wondering. Your injured lifting is quite a bit stronger than my best lifting. Now I'm wondering how much stronger you'll be when your shoulder is better.

Are you doing your core lifts in 5/3/1 fashion, but for all weeks instead of just the 3rd week?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gibson View Post
    Trust me; that's not what I was wondering. Your injured lifting is quite a bit stronger than my best lifting. Now I'm wondering how much stronger you'll be when your shoulder is better.
    Not sure how much better I'll be but I'm hopeful to hit some serious numbers by the year's end. John is starting to watch me and that's a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by famendoza View Post
    Are you doing your core lifts in 5/3/1 fashion, but for all weeks instead of just the 3rd week?
    Yes, I perform some of the lifts in 5/3/1 fashion and do it for all weeks.

starting strength coach development program
    I had to look up some of these lifts. Are your abz screaming at you when you Z-Press?

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast