starting strength gym

Thread: Lordosis, Squats and Deadlifts

Default Lordosis, Squats and Deadlifts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Made this thread in the Q&A section but thought I'd write it here too.

Does anyone have lordosis and has lower back pain while squatting and deadlifting especially? I've been getting injured alot and my lifts are going down.

Like hyperlordosis, i.e. anterior pelvic tilt + protruding abdomen?

What hurts in squats/deadlifts, meaning what part of the movement, and can you video it?

yeah thats right, squats hurt at the bottom and coming out of the bottom cos i cant keep my lower back tight (i think), deadlifts hurt for the same reason

hip flexer and hamstring tightness, try to strectch those out.

Usually means long and weak abs, glutes and hams, short and tight lower back muscles (especially erector spinae group, such as multifidus) and hip flexors. Strengthen long and weak muscles, stretch short and tight ones.

Squat and lunge to strengthen glutes and hams. Military press - ie overhead press with heels together - to strengthen abs and glutes, squeeze those and then press. Do hurdle stretch to stretch hip flexors and lying rotation stretch for lower back.

Progress in weights slowly to ensure all muscle groups are balanced, rather than just relying on the strongest one. If you've no-one supervising your lifts, rather than simply do 3x5, might be better to have rep range - 3x4-6. That is, 3x4 in first workout, 3x5 in second, 3x6 in third. Then for the fourth, drop back to 3x4 and add weight to the bar. This gives you a longer time at each weight allowing strength to build in a more balanced fashion.

Prone braces could be useful, but only if you've someone watching you to ensure an extended spine is maintained - impossible to do it all yourself.

yo you need to get on that thing and stretch it out
    I hope it's okay that I link to the write-up I did on how I did it
    I believe it's a really important thing to take care of, so I hope it's okay
    LINK
    It's well worth it but it take some effort

starting strength coach development program
    Sometimes it is hopeless to fix this problem. What you're most likely doing is starting with a tight arch, which for guys like you and me is called hyperextension. EAse up on the arch a bit and CLAMP your abs hard. You are likely losing your hyperextension at the bottom and that movement is causing the pain. I deal with this regularly.