starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for TM?

Default Time for TM?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So, I know this is like the 50th post on switching from SS to intermediate programming, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing-

I started DTP in late March, and my weight has gone from 155 to 180, maintaining about 15% body fat (height 5'8''). My 5RM are:

Squat: 265x5. I stalled at 265, and deloaded from 240. I've returned to 265, but it's still pretty hard, and I tend to lose back angle unless I really try to maintain it. It's been 2 or 3 weeks that I've been stuck at 265.

Bench: 175x5. I haven't really deloaded, but it's been about 2 weeks that I've not progressed on bench.

Press: 130x5. I haven't deloaded, but I attempted 135 today and had a minor injury to my shoulder on the first rep. I stopped doing them - they were hard. It took me about 2 weeks to successfully do 130.

Power Clean: 175x3. I deloaded once to 155. These don't feel that bad, and I think I could make some more progress on it, but it would be slow.

Deadlift: 345x5. These aren't that bad, I think I still have some good progress in me.

As it is, my lifts have pretty much all been stuck (except DL) for the past 3 weeks or so. My question is: should I switch to intermediate programming? Or should I suck it up, eat more, and try to do a few more weeks of SS?

You doing the GOMAD? Eating everything in sight? Try advanced novice yet?

Yup, I've been doing ~3/4 GOMAD and having plenty to eat - the reason for the 3/4 is that I've never had difficulty gaining weight, and wanted to control the rate of gain. I gained 25 pounds in 3 months, and from the mirrors I can see it was mostly muscle.

I just recently started on advanced novice, although I don't know how much that will solve my stalls on the lifts other than squats.

How tall are you?

5'8'' not that tall

In the 3 weeks or so that you've been stuck, has your bodyweight also been constant?

I think you still have some room to grow, so you could up the calories some more. What was a surplus when you were 20 lbs lighter is now a maintenance level. Just because you eat more doesn't mean you'll get fat.

I know that everybody is different, but I'm 5'8" and 185 lbs, so we're fairly close in that respect.

My current lifts are:
    Squat 280x5x3
    DL 365 x 5
    Bench 225x5x3 (moved on to TM)
    OH Press 142.5x5x3 (moved on to TM)

Your squat could probably come up a little bit. Deadlift doesn't seem too bad. OH Press isn't terrible, but there's something going on with your bench...

Of course that's just comparing to my numbers... which I know doesn't mean dick... but all I'm saying is you probably have more linear progression left.

Quote Originally Posted by JT in MD View Post
    I know that everybody is different, but I'm 5'8" and 185 lbs, so we're fairly close in that respect.

My current lifts are:
    Squat 280x5x3
    DL 365 x 5
    Bench 225x5x3 (moved on to TM)
    OH Press 142.5x5x3 (moved on to TM)

Your squat could probably come up a little bit. Deadlift doesn't seem too bad. OH Press isn't terrible, but there's something going on with your bench...

Of course that's just comparing to my numbers... which I know doesn't mean dick... but all I'm saying is you probably have more linear progression left.
    Almost identical to me at same height and body weight.
    Squat 285
    DL 360
    Bench 215
    OHP 135

Just thought it was interesting. How old are you JT? I'm 35.

Quote Originally Posted by petey View Post
    Almost identical to me at same height and body weight.
    Squat 285
    DL 360
    Bench 215
    OHP 135

Just thought it was interesting. How old are you JT? I'm 35.
    I'm 27, so I've got just a little bit of youth helping me out . Are you finding that linear progression is running out on your bench and OH press?

starting strength coach development program
    Bench has always been my weak point. It could be because we do DL before (for fear of losing squat rack, which always happens if we leave it for 20 seconds). Today's bench day, and I'm gonna put more of an effort into it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast