starting strength gym

Thread: Food poisoning

Default Food poisoning

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Four days ago I received a lovely case of food poisoning. I've only been able to eat a few pieces of bread and some cereal since; consequently, I'm feeling pretty weak. I had lifted prior in the day to eating the tainted food and I haven't done anything physical since.

I'm trying to decide if I should just try to repeat my last workout or deload tomorrow. I've had plenty of time to recover but I haven't been able to fuel myself. I am a fatty, and it's my understanding that fat is what fuels recovery. Am I being optimistic or naive in hoping to repeat the last workout?

I've only been doing SS for two weeks and I can't wait to get back under the bar. I just don't want to shit myself in the process.

I think you might just as well take a deload, as you probably won't be able to lift your previous weights. If you can manage to pickup where you left, then by all means do.

I've been through that recently and my personal experience is that you can try to repeat your last workout, however you will find that it just won't happen.
    In my case I was able to repeat the bench press I had done the previous week, but I was in the midst of a deload when I had the food poisoning. The press, however, pretty much sucked for a week and I was only able to pull a double on the deadlift.

Dunno how advanced you are, programming wise, so caveat emptor on this advice:

In my experience, I have taken up to two weeks off and returned to my previous workout's weights. However, sickness has probably taken it out of you, it sounds like. I would maybe try a slightly deloaded ease-back-into-it workout to gauge how you're feeling. If that is tough, then proceed from there. If it feels fine, hit your previous weights on your next workout, and get back on track. Alternately, you can always just keep your options open, then see how you feel during your warmup sets. I have had more than one occasion where I thought I would take it easy for whatever reason, then got into my warmups and felt strong, and hit my PRs despite previous doubts.

Good luck on that.