starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cookieman's SS Log!

Default Cookieman's SS Log!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone! I just started weight-lifting about 2 months ago. Luckily for me though, I started off doing a program similar to the practical programming novice program instead of just lounging about in the gym doing random exercises. So far my gains have been pretty decent for the most part and I am happy to see myself progressing with the weights so far.

Just to introduce myself to everyone, I'm a college student at UCSB. I'm going into my sophomore year in the fall, not really sure yet what I want to do with my life. For the majority of my life lived so far, I have not been physically active. I basically just sat around and played World of Warcraft and other games for the majority of high school. The summer before college started though, I decided I didn't want to live the rest of my life in such a sedentary fashion so I took up boxing. Boxing helped me realize that to get to the physical levels that I wanted, I would have to work hard. My life has turned around for the better as now I am involved in Brazilian Jiu-jutsu / Judo.

Stats: 5'6 165 Pounds. I'm guessing 18-22 Percent Body Fat.

Program:
    A B A Week One
    B A B Week Two

A: 3x5 Squat, 3x5 Bench, 2 Sets of Dips To Failure.
    B: 3x5 Squat, 3x5 Press, 1x5 Deadlift, 2 Sets of Chin-ups to Failure.

That's pretty much the program I've been doing. I just switched to 1x5 Deadlift but before I was doing 3x5 Deadlift.

Stats:
    Squat: 210x5x3 (Last workout, easy). Did 220x5x3 3 weeks ago but decided to start at a lower weight due to no lifting/shitty diet during spring break.
    Bench: 135x5x3(Two workouts ago. This was hard) I think it might have to do with the 4 hours of sleep I had the day before and the fact that I didn't eat anything before I lifted.
    Press: 90x5x3(Last workout, easy). I had gotten up to 95x5x3 a couple of weeks ago and tried 100x5x3 but couldn't get it due to an arm injury which has healed now.
    Deadlift: 205x5x1(Last workout, very easy). I had missed a lot of deadlift days so that is probably the reason why my deadlift is weaker than my squat right now. I am sure that soon my deadlift will surpass my squat.
    Dips: 10, 5 or so. I'm having a lot of difficulties doing dips, but I have made progress because when I started this program two months ago I wasn't able to do one dip.
    Chin ups: 2, 1. This is the only part of the program on which I am failing to make any progress at all.

As for diet, I've just been trying to eat a bunch and I've been trying to drink a lot of milk. Any tips on easy things for me to make? I'm just learning how to cook.

I usually go to BJJ 3x a week, and Judo 2x a week. I would like to up this to BJJ 5x a week, and Judo 2x a week. I just need to make sure that I make time for myself to go. BJJ is for around an hour and 20 minutes and Judo is for about 2 hours.

Thanks everyone that took the time to read this. Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

First of all welcome!

I have a couple of suggestions:
    1) BUY THE BOOK!!!
    2) You should add back extensions instead of dips
    3) Switch the chins to the A workout
    4) Add the p.clean that should alternate with the deadlift after a couple of weeks from the beggining
    5) Eat a lot
    6) GOMAD
    7) Calculate and consume at least 1gr protein/lb of bodyweight.

Good luck!

Today's workout

Squat 215x5x3(I thought this was pretty difficult today, I really had to really push through on the last last ones. I felt like I was losing balance on some of them. I think I'm dropping down too quickly)
    Bench 140x5x3(This was pretty easy)
    Dips 10, 6(My form is getting better on these/ I'm doing down deeper)

Thanks for the suggestions. I already have the book but I haven't read it yet, need to take some time to read that. Why would back extensions be better than dips? Sorry, I'm a noob at this. I'll start adding the power-clean once my friend gets back because he can probably teach me the basic-form for the power clean. He has read Rippetoe's Starting Strength and knows it pretty well. As for the 1gram protein/lb of bodyweight is that protein in terms of purely whey protein? Like since I weigh 165, do I consume 165 grams whey protein daily or is that counting other foods that I eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookieman View Post
    Today's workout

Squat 215x5x3(I thought this was pretty difficult today, I really had to really push through on the last last ones. I felt like I was losing balance on some of them. I think I'm dropping down too quickly)
    Bench 140x5x3(This was pretty easy)
    Dips 10, 6(My form is getting better on these/ I'm doing down deeper)

Thanks for the suggestions. I already have the book but I haven't read it yet, need to take some time to read that. Why would back extensions be better than dips? Sorry, I'm a noob at this. I'll start adding the power-clean once my friend gets back because he can probably teach me the basic-form for the power clean. He has read Rippetoe's Starting Strength and knows it pretty well. As for the 1gram protein/lb of bodyweight is that protein in terms of purely whey protein? Like since I weigh 165, do I consume 165 grams whey protein daily or is that counting other foods that I eat?
    Well first of all, if you are doing your own program, than you're not doing THE PROGRAM. Back extensions are not a substitute for dips, they strengthen your back erectors and are an important assistance exercise that help the squat and deadlift. Dips can be added later, after a couple of months if neccessary. I suggest you read the book now, it explains all the exercises thoroughly (including the p.clean). As for the quantity of protein, obviously you should include all protein that comes from food (for example 8 oz of chicken breast has 40g of protein). Also I forgot to include in my first reply that you should get the some weightlifting shoes, and microplates, believe me they will be neccessary in the near future. Anyway keep on training heavy and eating buddy!

7/1/2010

Squats 220x5x3(Felt Good, I don't think I went deep enough on the last rep on the last set)
    Overhead Press 95x5x3(Easy, Felt like I could do 10 pounds more)
    Deadlift 225x5x3(Felt pretty good)
    Chin-ups 1, 1

Right now I'm lifting in some converse shoes which I bought because I heard they had a flat surface which was good for squats. Today I weighed in at 168.2 on the scale at the gym. Should I still buy microplates even if I don't have my own home gym? I'm just lifting at the university gym right now.

I bought microplates about 2 weeks ago, wish I hadn't. It just makes me tempted to take smaller jumps, when what I really need to do is man up and eat more and stick with the big jumps.

YMMV, especially since you've been at it a little longer than I have.

7/3/2010

Squat 225x5x3(Felt Good). Two plates! Thought I'd never see the day.
    Bench 145x3x1(Fail), Went to 140 then failed twice at 140x4x1 and 140x3x1. I don't get it. I thought 140x5x3 was easy the last time I did it.
    Dips 8, 4.

7/1/2010

Squats 220x5x3(Felt Good, I don't think I went deep enough on the last rep on the last set)
    Overhead Press 95x5x3(Easy, Felt like I could do 10 pounds more)
    Deadlift 225x5x3(Felt pretty good)
    Chin-ups 1, 1

Right now I'm lifting in some converse shoes which I bought because I heard they had a flat surface which was good for squats. Today I weighed in at 168.2 on the scale at the gym. Should I still buy microplates even if I don't have my own home gym? I'm just lifting at the university gym right now.
    Chuck's are good, but not the best thing. Try some weightlifting shoes if you are serious about this. And you should buy microplates, regardless of where you train. You can man up as much as yuo want, but there comes a point in the bench and the press, where you have to microload. As for yesterday's workout, it's just a bad day (it happens to everybody). Try again next time 145, but this time eat big, drink your milk and rest.

Great workout today.
    230x5x3 Squat(Felt Good, good bar speed)
    100x5x3 Military Press(Felt Good, bar speed starting to slwo)
    235x5x1 Deadlift(Felt okay)

As for microplates, I'll look into them. Any suggestions on where I can buy them? I'm not ready yet to spend a lot of money on weightlifting shoes, but I'll think about it over time. I just bought these chuck taylors and I'm pretty poor so I'm hesitant about buying an expensive pair of lifting shoes.

starting strength coach development program
    Great workout today.
    230x5x3 Squat(Felt Good, good bar speed)
    100x5x3 Military Press(Felt Good, bar speed starting to slwo)
    235x5x1 Deadlift(Felt okay)

As for microplates, I'll look into them. Any suggestions on where I can buy them? I'm not ready yet to spend a lot of money on weightlifting shoes, but I'll think about it over time. I just bought these chuck taylors and I'm pretty poor so I'm hesitant about buying an expensive pair of lifting shoes.
    I bought my microplates at Iron woody's online, but if you live in the US maybe you can buy them directly on some shop.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast