starting strength gym

Thread: Incorporating Hypertrophy into Intermediate Program

Default Incorporating Hypertrophy into Intermediate Program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am nearing the end of my novice progression and need to start looking into what I should do next. When I switch, I want to maintain my strength and work on sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (muscle size) a bit. I realize this is a strength forum, but I thought some of you might have better advice than to go on the "AK-47 Workout" or some other stupid shit. I was thinking something similar to TM:

A: High Volume / Moderate Intensity (5x5@5RM)
    B: Low Volume / Low Intensity (3x5@80%5RM)
    C: High Volume / Low Intensity 3x15@50%5RM)
    D: Low Volume / High Intensity (1RM PR)

Anyone else tried to do this?

I would just do the TM, but on Friday do something like 4x12 of each of your lifts. I think PP2ed will give you a good idea of what %RM to start at, but since you'll be adding weight each week you should quickly find the right intensity. And of course you'll need to throw in some curlz.

I'd do a 20-rep squat program personally, just because I've always been fascinated with them.

Quote Originally Posted by tdwaffle15 View Post
    I would just do the TM, but on Friday do something like 4x12 of each of your lifts. I think PP2ed will give you a good idea of what %RM to start at, but since you'll be adding weight each week you should quickly find the right intensity. And of course you'll need to throw in some curlz.
    IIRC, Rip suggests something very much like this in PP. Using the 5X5 day to continue to increase strength, and using Fridays to focus on hypertrophy work, instead of the heavy singles/doubles/triples or DE work that a more strength-oriented guy would choose.

I second what the guys said previously. Rip talks about a hypertrophy-oriented program in the intermediate chapter of PPST 2, if you have the book you can take a look at it.

Other than what has been said, he suggests taking short breaks between sets.

Thank you for the input, I do have the book, and I will look in there to find the advice you guys speak about. Short rests between sets on a 5x5... ugh pain.

I think you should be more worried about taking one minute breaks between sets of 12. That has to result in some wicked burn.

It gives me the chills just thinking about it, as I will probably do something like that when I exaust my linear progression.

Eat more. SS was the most hypertrophy in the shortest time I've ever had. Caloric excess is your friend.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't see myself ever doing hypertrophy rep ranges. It's crazy the amount you get on a 5 rep range program as it is. look at justin and AC from 70sbig, they're really built guys and I doubt they've been doing any hypertrophy stuff lately.