starting strength gym

Thread: Jacked up training log

Default Best Log Ever

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I will be updating the first post with every workout I have, as well as making a new post at the bottom. Also I realize I did some different things with the program in terms of the weight and I made a lot of mistakes in general.

My only concern at the moment is whether I should reset on the press. I think I can continue the other lifts for some time without stalling, especially my squat. Just keep at it? Is switching to 5x3 a legitimate idea?

Stats:
    - Male
    - 5'10
    - 21 years old
    - currently about 176 lbs (started @ 160 lbs)

Background:
    - Started lifting with no knowledge whatsoever mid-March (2010), about 3-4 times a week but improved somehow (probably due to the Novice Effect). Found out about SS and learned some of the lifts then decided to do the full program starting June 9th.

- Am not completely doing GOMAD, I am pretty sure I have at least a mild intolerance. However I am still putting down a half to 3/4ths of a gallon of whole milk each day and dealing with the consequences.

Goals (short term):
    - Bench and weigh 200 lbs

I recognize that I started on a Wednesday.. is there any problem with this? Also I have a feeling I am "ratio-ally weak" for my BW.. although I am still improving so we will see.

-------------------------------------------------

Week 1

Wed June 9
    Squat 115 5/5/5
    Bench 115 5/5/5
    Deadlift 135 1x5

Fri June 11
    Squat 130 5/5/5
    Press 85 5/5/5
    Chin-ups 10/5/3 [didn't realize 'till later that this was poor form]

Mon June 14
    Squat 140 5/5/5
    Bench 125 5/5/5
    Deadlift 150 1x5

-------------------------------------------

Week 2

Wed June 16
    Squat 150 5/5/5
    Press 95 5/5/5 (tough)
    Chin-ups 10/7/6 [again poor form, I realize it the next time]

Fri June 18
    Squat 160 5/5/5
    Bench 135 5/5, 145x5
    Deadlift 170 1x5

Mon June 21
    Squat 170 5/5/5
    Press 100 5/5/5 (excessive back lean on last rep)
    Chin-ups dead hang to chest 7/5/4 (good form)

turned 21 yrs

Week 3

**Missed this workout - was done on Thurs, the next day instead** Wed June 23
    Squat 180 5/5/5 tough, but great form
    Bench 145 5/5, 155x4
    Deadlift 190 1x5

**Moved to Saturday** Fri June 25
    Squat 185 5/5/5
    Press 105x5, 100x5/5
    Chin-ups 7/6/5

Mon June 28
    Squat 190 5/5/5
    Bench 150 5/5/5
    Deadlift 205 1x5

Week 4

Wed June 30
    Squat 195 5/5/5 (easy)
    Press 105 5/5/4 (excessive back lean.. thinking of going down to 100 and fixing form completely)
    Chin-ups 7/6/4

Fri July 2
    Squat 200 5/5/5
    Bench 155 5/5/5, felt super easy so then 170x4, incline 115x13. (my friend was doing these so i felt like doing some too)
    Deadlift 220x5
    Last edited by Ardek; 07-02-2010 at 03:04 PM.

Good work man, keep it up. I see your ratios are already starting to work themselves out. They will do more so over time. My ratios are terrible at the moment. No power cleans? I think they are great and they aren't that hard to learn. As far as press goes, I would drop back to 90 or 95 lbs and work back up with maybe 5 lb jumps or microload with either 1lb wrist/ankle weights on each side or 1.25 lb plates if you have access. I'm sure you will get some more advice (maybe better, maybe worse). Either way keep driving the weight up and eating a good bit of food. GOMAD is great but make sure you are eating enough protein from whole foods and getting in good fats, carbs and probably a lot of crap food too if you are really trying to get stronger and gain weight. Are you wearing a belt on the press? That helps a ton, and maybe post a video of your press form. Lots of good folks on here to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tfin View Post
    Good work man, keep it up. I see your ratios are already starting to work themselves out. They will do more so over time. My ratios are terrible at the moment. No power cleans? I think they are great and they aren't that hard to learn. As far as press goes, I would drop back to 90 or 95 lbs and work back up with maybe 5 lb jumps or microload with either 1lb wrist/ankle weights on each side or 1.25 lb plates if you have access. I'm sure you will get some more advice (maybe better, maybe worse). Either way keep driving the weight up and eating a good bit of food. GOMAD is great but make sure you are eating enough protein from whole foods and getting in good fats, carbs and probably a lot of crap food too if you are really trying to get stronger and gain weight. Are you wearing a belt on the press? That helps a ton, and maybe post a video of your press form. Lots of good folks on here to help out.
    1. Believe it or not, the gym closest to me does not have room to do power cleans. I can go to another one though so I'll be doing them soon.

2. I'm not using any gear at all. I'm working on getting shoes but I'm in college so saving up might take some time.

3. I've been eating a ton every day to the point where I'm almost always full.. although my weight gains haven't been increasing quite as much recently so I'm wondering if I should cut down on the filling stuff and just eat more fat. I eat a lot of dead animal every day though, as well as protein shakes after my workouts (and sometimes in the morning if I don't have time to eat).

4. My gym doesn't allow recording but I'll see if I can get a phone video of my press. I believe my form is very good on all my lifts other than some back lean when I can't complete my press, but if a video is necessary I can get one.

Thanks for the input.

Absolutely man. I understand the whole no video allowed. My gym is the same way. I guess they are worried about guys filming all the hot girls. Try to power clean if you can, its great for you. As far as eating goes, lots of people will say to just eat, eat, eat. I don't believe in tons of crap food like all the 70s big stuff, as long as you are drinking a lot of milk and eating a lot of protein, fats and carbs then you should be getting stronger and bigger. For you at your size though some oats, rice, yams, sweet potatoes and potatoes are great. Maybe not for somebody with more body weight. Olive oil is also your friend. For press, I still think dropping back to 90-95 lbs and micro loading from there will help you out. Maybe do 2x5 then a rep max set where you use the same weight as your first two sets then for your third do as many reps as you can until you get back up to your original stall weight then 3x5 micro loading from there on out. Let me know how it goes.

Fri July 2
    Squat 200 5/5/5
    Bench 155 5/5/5, felt super easy so then 170x4, incline 115x13. (my friend was doing these so i felt like doing some too)
    Deadlift 220x5

so yeah I have this tendency to "cheat" on weight, but my work sets felt super easy for some reason so I just kept going. I figure it will help me adapt to heavier weights anyway.