starting strength gym

Thread: How's my progress? Do I need to change?

Default How's my progress? Do I need to change?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This isn't a "how am I doing" thread, fishing for "you're doing great well done - pat on the back" kind of answers. Not that many people are really into that here.

Just wondering if things are "out of whack".

As Rip say in the book, my lifts are strongest in this order:
    DL > SQ > Bench > OP

I am just wondering if:
    a) my progress is ok over 3 months, or too slow.
    b) the difference between the weakest and the strongest lift is too much
    c) my presses too weak in particular

Please take a look at my stats to see my progress.

Stats when I started: 13th-15th April

Body weight: 79kg (174lbs)
    Squat: 70kg (154lbs)
    Bench: 55kg (121lbs)
    Press: 40kg (88lbs)
    DL: 95kg (209lbs)

Stats this week: 1st-3rd July

Body weight: 92kg (202lbs)
    Squat: 112.5kg (248lbs)
    Bench: 72.5kg (160lbs)
    Press: 55kg (121 lbs)
    DL: 135kg (298 lbs)

Any feedback appreciated.
    Last edited by jimmy9pints; 07-03-2010 at 09:02 AM. Reason: forgot the DLs

You're making big leaps but your progress will slow down after you've been lifting a while. It's not linear like some would have you believe. If that was the case we'd all be WR holders who have been lifting for years.

Keep up the good work and keep lifting heavy and hard. There's no need to change anything right now. Once you've stalled for sometime than it would be time to reassess what you're doing and what can be changed to start making new gains/progress but for now obviously your program is working well for you.
    Last edited by BrotherIron; 07-03-2010 at 09:13 AM.

That looks fine to me. Everything is in the right order in terms of how heavy it is, and the ratio is about the same as the 200-300-400-500 ohp/bp/squat/deadlift strength standard. Your lifts all improved in pretty much textbook ratio, but they jumped maybe a bit slowly, unless there was a reset in there somewhere.

bottom line: everything from weight gain to lift improvement is just fine. Stop worrying and go set more PRs!

Default Thanks for your comments

Thanks for your comments.

about the same as the 200-300-400-500 ohp/bp/squat/deadlift strength standard.
    Glad to hear that. Where can I find that in the book? Think I've missed it.

they jumped maybe a bit slowly, unless there was a reset in there somewhere.
    Yeah, I thought it was going slowly. At the moment I am adding 2.5 kg to my lifts each time. I seriously doubt I could add more and lift successfully at this point.

Actually, I just calculated based on 3 months and 3 workouts a week. That would be about 36 squat days, and the squat jumped 94 lbs, which is 2.5 lbs/workout. Really though, you're just fine.

Depending on your age you should have made more progress in about 10 weeks, your squat should be around 130kg for 3*5 and bench around 90 3*5, and your deadlift around 160 at least. You should be taking bigger jumps on your deadlift, I was still taking 5kg jumps every week up to 210kg for 5.

Also don't worry about ratios, if you push everything hard it will be fine, some people can only deadlift about the same as they squat and some a lot more. If you look at Chris Longs stats he can only bench 370 and squat around 650.

I reckon you can finsh off your linear progression in about two months if you do it properly, so thats 40kg on your squat at least. Twice a week consistently addind 2.5 kg to your squat. And then adding 5kg to your deadlift every other week.

starting strength coach development program
    I think your lifts should have moved a little more, especially the squat and deadlift, but you're doing all right.