starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Benching more than I squat/DL. Need advice beffor starting SS.

Default Benching more than I squat/DL. Need advice beffor starting SS.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey everyone. I'm going to start the SS routine in a few days but I have some questions before I do. I've read the SS FAQ but I have not yet read the book. I will be getting the book shortly but for now I'm still kind of a newb.

For a few years I was one of those typical teenagers who wanted to have a ripped upper body and didn't really care about legs at all. I went to the gym off and on and slowly made progress with my upper body. Then late last year, I decided to finally start training seriously and incorporating squats and deadlifts into my routine because my legs started to look tiny compared to my upper body. I was going to start doing SS about 6 months ago, but around the same time, I started taking accutane for acne. The accutane gave me severe back and knee pain, preventing me from doing squats, deadlifts, power cleans, and most leg exercises. So for the past 6 months I've continued to make progress with only my upper body(and calves). I'm going to start Rippetoe's SS next week starting with these numbers:

bench: 210 X 3 X 5
    squat: 155 X 3 X 5
    deadlift: 175 X 1 X 5
    press: 125 X 3 X 5
    PC: no idea X 5 X 3

I will be starting off squats, deadlifts, and power cleans extra light to get the form down perfectly. I have a few questions before I start though because I'm obviously not a complete novice when it comes to weightlifting, which is what the program is designed for.

1) I expect to stall much much quicker on bench press and press than on the other 3 lifts. What should I do once I stall on bench press and press? I would like to stay on SS until I stall on all the exercises, but will I be wasting my time with bench press and press alone after stalling? Should I start using dumbbells? Should I start doing incline bench?

2) If I'm only doing these 5 exercises, won't my muscle groups that aren't getting any direct work (biceps, calves) get weaker? Should I add calve raises and chin-ups into the program? I know this isn't a concern for a complete novice, but I'm not sure if it will be for me.

Oh and here are my stats:

height: 5'10''
    weight: 182 lbs
    bf: 16%
    endomorph

Any help would be appreciated.

Use Microloading on the bench and eventually on the press. Start out with 10 pound jumps on the squats, deads and PC's and then eventually 5. When you stall on the bench and OH just deload 10% and don't worry about it. I am thinking that you will be surprised that you will get stronger on those two lifts.

My OPINION is that you should stick to the five exercises and leave the other stuff out for now, untill you become and advanced novice or intermediate. I grew 1" on my arms without direct arm work.

Let us know how it goes.

If you load the lifts accordingly, the squat and deadlift should out pace the bench

You'll catch up quickly with the squat and deadlift. You may have to go intermediate on the bench before the others. Start off with 2.5# jumps on the bench.

Don't worry about stuff not getting direct work, you fool. Okay, you can do pullups and chinups, that's allowed. But never ever do calf raises or we will never give you advice ever again. Or at least I won't. I'm serious about that.

Also, drop the word "endomorph" from your vocabulary.

And don't post estimated bodyfat percentages ever again.

I think most of your questions will, or at least should, be answered when you read the book.

Start the bench and press much lighter than you would think. This will do two things:

1) Take less away from squatting and pulling allowing you to push those lifts harder, which is what you need to do

2) Delay's the "stall" you are so worried about

Don't worry about your biceps and calves, it doesn't matter for you right now, a few years of inconsistent lifting for your chest and biceps does not move you past the novice stage, sorry to burst your bubble. If it's really going to freak you out that much you can add chin-ups after your three main lifts for the day.

When you say you're "getting" the book shortly, does that mean you've ordered it and are waiting for it to arrive?

Okay I will probably just add some chin-ups to the end of workout B.

My 5RM for bench is 225 and for press is 140. Should I be starting at a lower weight for those exercises?

I ordered the book yesterday from amazon so yes it is on its way.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W View Post
    Okay I will probably just add some chin-ups to the end of workout B.
    Id be careful even with the chins, they may leave your lats a little fatigued. Progression on the deadlift & squat should be your priority. Just try it out plain & simple.

The book suggests no powercleans either. Just deadlifts everytime till you get accustomed.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast