starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front/Overhead/Back squat split

Default Front/Overhead/Back squat split

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Is there a program that involves all of these variations of squats?

For example, I want to do....

M: Overhead Squats/Bench
    W: Front Squats/Deadlifts
    F: Back Squat/Overhead Press

How does that sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Is there a program that involves all of these variations of squats?

For example, I want to do....

M: Overhead Squats/Bench
    W: Front Squats/Deadlifts
    F: Back Squat/Overhead Press

How does that sound?
    So do it if that's what you want to do. Why would you need someone to tell you it's ok or tell you about a "program" that includes those lifts? Try it and see how it works for you.

Think of it this way: if there was no internet (I know that's frightening for some people), what would you have to do if you couldn't ask someone how to train. You'd have to experiment and figure it out for yourself. If you're looking for general knowledge and theory, and maybe some advice with a specific problem, the internet is a great source. But don't program hunt, if you want to try something new just do it and learn something.

Well I was expecting someone to say something along the lines of "stick to one thing."

After giving it some more thought, I think it will be better to do it like..

Week 1: front squats
    Week 2: back squats
    Week 3: over head squats

etc.

Can you cause the same sort of overload with front/overhead squats that you can with back squats? That looks like
    Week1:Medium
    Week2:Heavy
    Week3:Light

to me, which might be appropriate and exactly what you're looking for.
    How close are your squat variants? Are they close enough that you might think about adding a set or two of the squat variants as warmups to the back squat? As backoff sets?

I always start my squat warmups with overheads. Try it. It helps warm up the shoulders for presses, too.

The weight that I can comfortably use is peanuts compared to my backsquats, so it isn't a suitable substitute, but it sure makes a suitable warmup.

I warm up with 45, 95, 135, etc I don't yet feel comfortable OHS 135, so i only do 45x10 and 95x5. Soon i will add in 135x4 ohs then continue my warmups from there with backsquats.

The limiting factor in overhead squats is keeping it overhead. I'd do them on the same day as one of your other squats after your other arm work. ie, back squat, overhead press, and then do OHS.

They are not close at all.

OHS: <100 lbs
    FS: 145 lbs
    BS: 210 lbs

(recovering after injury; used to be stronger, but what does that matter...)

I would really like to get my other variations of squat up to par with my BS. What would be the best way to do this?

Cycle them weekly or daily?

Your ohs and fs will never reach your bs, if that's what you mean by "par".

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    Your ohs and fs will never reach your bs, if that's what you mean by "par".
    You are right.

The main reason I want to do this is because I want to be a well-rounded weightlifter. I don't care for powerlifting at all. However I do want to get into Oly lifting in the future. That's why I want to start doing other variations of squats in the mean time.

I'm just not sure how to incorporate them into my routine.

Say I cycle them weekly... BS, FS, OHS... repeat. Then when I do the BS again after 2 weeks, will I actually be stronger or weaker?

ps. thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it.

starting strength coach development program
    Say I cycle them weekly... BS, FS, OHS... repeat. Then when I do the BS again after 2 weeks, will I actually be stronger or weaker?
    Probably weaker.

Getting stronger on the BS will tend to drive up the FS and the OHS. Getting stronger on the OHS and FS will most likely not boost your BS much.

Whether or not you care for powerlifting, Rip has stated many times that olympic weightlifters should do heavy back squats because heavy back squats make you bigger and stronger, which in turn helps the front squat and OHS.

IMO, the best thing you can do for your FS and OHS is get your BS up to 405lbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast