starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Method variation

Default Texas Method variation

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Has anyone attempted staggering the volume/recovery/intensity goals for the different exercises within a single workout?

In fully understand the purpose of the recovery day, but in my one previous experience with this programme I really didnt like that day; it just felt like a wasted effort. One approach I'm contemplating as I prepare to switch over is is to stagger all 3 approaches within a single workout, such as:

Monday: Squat (V), Press (R), Deads (I)
    Wed: Squat (R), Press (I), Clean (V)
    Fri: Squat (I), Press (V), Dead (R)

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of programming they could share?

No bench?

It sounds like it could work. This actually gives me some ideas for my own plan.

Currently, no, but the sample programme was simplified as much as possible for the sake of clearly expressing my point.
    Last edited by LimieJosh; 07-06-2010 at 02:49 PM.

It should work fine and I prefer splitting up the volume day. The double volume day (5x5 squat, 5x5 bench) was too much for me to recover from.

Here is something I've been considering when it comes to the Texas Method style of program

Monday
    SQ volume
    BP Work up to heavy set of 5rm
    Barbell Rows
    Chins

Wed
    Front Squat
    OHP
    GHR
    Dips

Friday
    SQ work up to heavy set of 5rm
    BP volume
    Deadlift

Of course alternating OHP and BP

dont you think its kinda hard having volume and intensity day at consecutive workouts.? you could switch mondays and fridays but having no recovery day in the middle is tough.

if you want something to make recovery day fun try doing front squats for squats. you deadlift once a week so you could choose from cleans/snatches/RDL/GM's to make things fun.

with regards to the presses try adding in dips. so you are doing dips/flat bench/press in a week so its kinda fun doing different exercises.

I don't have experience with a break-up like this, but I would anticipate that 5x5 squats would make 5RM Deads VERY hard. Plus, deads 2 days before cleans will probably slow your cleans big time. Perhaps make this small adjustment:

Monday: Squat (V), Press (I), Deads (R)
    Wed: Squat (R), Press (V), Dead (I)
    Fri: Squat (I), Press (R), Clean (V)

Tim

Thats a good observation - exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Cheers, Tim.

I wonder if splitting the workout will affect the hormonal response. It seems as if the Monday (5x5) would result in a supercompensation hormonally that would allow for progress on Friday and the following Monday. Just a thought.

starting strength coach development program
    Run this by Rip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast