starting strength gym

Thread: Opinions on routine?

Default Opinions on routine?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My aim at the moment is to try and get a 440 lb deadlift.

I've been training since september last year.
    My stats up until now are 320/ 195 / 390 at 195 lbs having ran SS and Madcow.

Day 1
    Back Squat 3x5
    Front Squat 3x3
    Good Morning 3x5
    Dips 3x5

Day 3
    Deadlift 1x5 (Aim is to try and pull as fast as possible)
    Speed Deadlift 3x3 (30 secs rest between sets)
    Partial Deadlift 1x5
    Row 3x8
    Lat pulldown
    Cable Pulled Row
    Barbell Shrugs

Day 5
    Squat 2x5 lighter weight for recovery
    Bench 3x5
    Push press 3x3??
    Chins 3x5

Thanks in advance.

That's not looking too good. For one, back squatting and front squatting on the same day might be too much. Also, having the recovery day at the end of your routine (and assuming you will get 2 days of rest after that), is pointless.

How about this.

Day 1
    Back squats

Day 2 (light)
    Front squats

Day 3
    Deadlifts

Fill in the blanks.

Find a proven method and stick to it. Any one will do, just don't modify the damn thing until you have ran it for a while. At that point appropriate "adjustments" can be made, based on your experience and what you individually need. TM, Starr, 531, advanced novice, whatever. Think in 6 month blocks and look at what you're doing as a life long thing. It's tempting to over program for yourself in the beginning, but I urge you to use an established program at first, then go from there. Good luck.

Too much accesories, shitty rows, ect. I think speed is waste, pull all your reps as fast as possible anyway and there is now need, this includes warmups.

This is what i'm doing now after speaking to John Broz on the Phone and looking into other training methodologies.

Every other day

Bench to absolute max 1 rep max, then back off sets of doubles or tripes minimum of 3 sets up to 20-25 sets. Around 90%

Powerclean to absolute max 1 rep max
    Sumo deadlift to absolute max 1 rep max, then around 3-7 sets of backoffs 2/3's 90% approx.

Squat, build to couple of sets of doubles and triples, not 1rm max though.
    3 sets of chinups to failiure.

I want to break the under 20 British raw powerlifitng record for bench (around 200) and deadlift (about 290) in either the 110kg class or more likely the 125kg class which I weigh 120kg currently.

Basically i've learnt train what you want to be good at, discard the front squats, good mornings ect. Besides all this is uneccesary unless you weigh 60kg, 455 is measly, you could get that my just busting you're ass on one set a week of of an attempted 5rm then to 3rm when that doesn't work add 5kg to 10kg a week, hell even try adding 20kg a week, even if you can only pull a double just get some people at the gym to shout and watch you, whenever I'm feeling like a pussy I get the weakest guy in the gym to watch me and for some reason it phychs me up.

Also look at the legends of the iron game, Bob Peoples, Goerner, Lamar Grant ect they all trained heavy everyday regardless. They all pulled around 750lbs at weights of no more than 130 to 200lbs.
    This is a bit of a rant but its good info.

@Sheep

Based on your #'s and time training 440 or 455(why not) is not "measly". It's a good goal to have and lots of solid training programs can help bring you there. Just do things as written for a while before changing them. They are the way they are for a good reason. Good luck.
    Last edited by ZKP; 07-14-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks so far.

I know I should have bigger lifts to be fair. I suffer from osgood - schlatter syndrome and squatting at the start of my time training was a painful experience... i've only just realised how useful a foam roller is.

I took my deadlift from around 2x380 to 1x440 in three weeks using "The bear". Just finished it last week. I also just wrote a review of it (with description) in this forum about 20 minutes ago.

and dont worry about what your lifts "should" be. Just work hard and do your best. Not everyone is Andy Bolton (in fact, nobody else is)

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    Too much accesories, shitty rows, ect. I think speed is waste, pull all your reps as fast as possible anyway and there is now need, this includes warmups.

This is what i'm doing now after speaking to John Broz on the Phone and looking into other training methodologies.

Every other day

Bench to absolute max 1 rep max, then back off sets of doubles or tripes minimum of 3 sets up to 20-25 sets. Around 90%

Powerclean to absolute max 1 rep max
    Sumo deadlift to absolute max 1 rep max, then around 3-7 sets of backoffs 2/3's 90% approx.

Squat, build to couple of sets of doubles and triples, not 1rm max though.
    3 sets of chinups to failiure.

I want to break the under 20 British raw powerlifitng record for bench (around 200) and deadlift (about 290) in either the 110kg class or more likely the 125kg class which I weigh 120kg currently.

Basically i've learnt train what you want to be good at, discard the front squats, good mornings ect. Besides all this is uneccesary unless you weigh 60kg, 455 is measly, you could get that my just busting you're ass on one set a week of of an attempted 5rm then to 3rm when that doesn't work add 5kg to 10kg a week, hell even try adding 20kg a week, even if you can only pull a double just get some people at the gym to shout and watch you, whenever I'm feeling like a pussy I get the weakest guy in the gym to watch me and for some reason it phychs me up.

Also look at the legends of the iron game, Bob Peoples, Goerner, Lamar Grant ect they all trained heavy everyday regardless. They all pulled around 750lbs at weights of no more than 130 to 200lbs.
    This is a bit of a rant but its good info.
    Thanks for the advice. Sounds pretty complicated but i'm sure it works.

Can i ask your name? I'm on another forum and there are a few British PLs on it.

starting strength coach development program
    Sheep,

My name is actually Charlie Potter, would actually be pretty cool if my real name was "Beast"! You won't find me on any powerlifting forum or such because I wouldn't really call myself a powerlifter at the moment, haven't competed yet, except with my gym crew! I'm in my first year at uni and have only been training properly for just under a year, around rugby and such. I've still got two years before becoming 20 so I think at the moment I've got a decent chance, my lifts as of now are squat 225 maybe lower as I haven't really trained it hard in a couple of months, sumo deadlift 267.5, bench around 165 (been training like a mofo on this last couple of months, this is my weakness). I've also come of the opinion that putting bench first is a good idea because putting it later I always never put in the same effort, whereas with squats and deads you just got to stand up.

I have for some reason no desire to get a big squat, though it will help my deadlift, 240 is my goal, which is very achievable. Bob Peoples lifts are what I want to achieve enventually which is at least a 700lbs deadlift, though i'm in no rush, rugby is more important to me now.

I always hated high rep sets, call me lazy i don't care, though I think its just what you get adapted to though, my friend is very good at high rep squats, but when I made him do less than 10 reps which he never does, he basically died and was foreign to the heavy feeling on his back, which I love! Then I found out how many of the old timers trained Anderson ect, rarely deloads (I hated 5 3 1 for all theese reasons) heavy 6 times a week (i'm only doing 3-4 times a week, otherwise it takes too much time from my study as each session takes around 2.5 hours). I thought to myself screw it, lets find out for myself and I rang John up and got through to him and got him to see what he thought of my template. I've already made a 5kg clean record my just doing it every other day, practice=perfect is very true.

For me my biggest challenge is going to be putiing on that gay singlet in public!

Its not really that complicated a lot of it I am making up as I go along with some principles that gradually I should be trying to up the volume, increase weight ect. John did not seem keen to give me too much infomation, as he can't tell unless he's there, besides he in a different league, i'm just some mug pestering him from England, whilst he trains Olympians!
    Basically i'm just maxing out on bench, cleans, deadlifts, squats every otherday. Then for bench and squat I'm doing fairly hard doubles until I get 16 reps or can do most of the sets in triples then putting more weight on the back up sets. At the moment I only maxing out on sumos and powercleans for one set and doing no back off sets, because cleans are a bonus and i'm expermenting with doing chins as the equilvilent of backoff volume for the deadlift, plus the deadlift unlike the squat and bench doesn't seem to be need to drilled on form and such, so i'm getting back volume without taxing the lower back too much.
    For me something that is becoming to be key is the whole idea of minimums, I like the idea of finding weights every couple of weeks which I know I can walk into the gym anyday of the week and hit, for me in the deadlift 6 plates is my minimum and then anything else is a bonus. Afer a while new PR become minumums and you start to get better at picking PRs jumping weights where originally i was very cautuois with 2.5kg jumps, also I discarded microloading, as I come to the opinion on this type of training it's not really worth the bother, on deadlifts I still try to set 5-10kg prs, though you should max out as much as possible each day. Also even if you miss a PR where you may have got it on microload, you are still building the weight doing the eccentric and part of the concentric.

Also i know i have just been spewing out a whole load of stuff but for me personally it helps to get my shit sorted out on paper occasionally and this is a perfect excuse to find the time to, I'm a bit naughty and don't have a logbook, internet or book, but I don't think its that bad because It means mentally i remember every set and the weghts are being calculated in the back of my mind.

Hope that helps clear things up!