starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Rest

Default A Rest

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey, I am starting to feel rundown a bit doing Texas Method. Is it allright to skip squats alltogether on Wed? Just warmup? Whadda ya all think?

Quote Originally Posted by rockyshaun View Post
    Hey, I am starting to feel rundown a bit doing Texas Method. Is it allright to skip squats alltogether on Wed? Just warmup? Whadda ya all think?
    I would at least do something light in order to keep "the groove" and maintain motor pathways, but that's not to say I haven't skipped them altogether before

Quote Originally Posted by METAL VIPER View Post
    I would at least do something light in order to keep "the groove" and maintain motor pathways, but that's not to say I haven't skipped them altogether before
    How have you fared with TM?

you can always change stuff around, add some DE sets on friday, or change to the Starr model.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    you can always change stuff around, add some DE sets on friday, or change to the Starr model.
    Explain the DE to me. And isn't Starr just about the same?

I'm assuming you haven't read PPST, right?

You would be better served if you could read the part on intermediate training, which includes DE sets, but I'll try to give you a general idea of what's described in the book.

It consists of doing the lifts with ~60% of your 1 RM, but in an explosive way, making the bar move as fast as possible. You would replace the friday workout with the DE sets and keeping the monday and wednesday the same. Workouts in case of the bench, would be performed with 10 sets of 3, squats with 10 sets of 2, with a 1 minute break between sets. As for the progression, you would keep the weight the same for several weeks, and focus on making the bar go faster every workout, while increasing the loads on the monday and wednesday workouts.

The Starr model is based around having heavy, medium and light days, monday being medium, wednesday being heavy and friday being light.

There is much more detail than what I can provide you with here, get the book, it's worth it.

If you dare to make any changes to THE PROGRAM, it will be immediately reported to the proper authorities. You will also go to Hell when you die.

On a serious note - take a week off if you're feeling burned out or do a de-load for a week.

You don't have to ask permission to take a break when your body is demanding one or change THE PROGRAM to suit your needs. We promise not to tell Rip.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    I'm assuming you haven't read PPST, right?

You would be better served if you could read the part on intermediate training, which includes DE sets, but I'll try to give you a general idea of what's described in the book.

It consists of doing the lifts with ~60% of your 1 RM, but in an explosive way, making the bar move as fast as possible. You would replace the friday workout with the DE sets and keeping the monday and wednesday the same. Workouts in case of the bench, would be performed with 10 sets of 3, squats with 10 sets of 2, with a 1 minute break between sets. As for the progression, you would keep the weight the same for several weeks, and focus on making the bar go faster every workout, while increasing the loads on the monday and wednesday workouts.

The Starr model is based around having heavy, medium and light days, monday being medium, wednesday being heavy and friday being light.

There is much more detail than what I can provide you with here, get the book, it's worth it.
    I do have ppst and reviewed the material. Thanks for the summary Carlos.

Quote Originally Posted by El Viejo View Post
    If you dare to make any changes to THE PROGRAM, it will be immediately reported to the proper authorities. You will also go to Hell when you die.

On a serious note - take a week off if you're feeling burned out or do a de-load for a week.

You don't have to ask permission to take a break when your body is demanding one or change THE PROGRAM to suit your needs. We promise not to tell Rip.
    El Viejo eschucaha al joven. Porque yo tengo una pregunta.

When you deload for a week do you go back up to the working sets weight the following week?

Thanks for your humor and response.

starting strength coach development program
    When you deload for a week do you go back up to the working sets weight the following week?

Thanks for your humor and response.
    Carry on with your scheduled increase. Don't reset even after a week completely off and I'll bet you'll be surprised by the results. I say don't reset at this point because you just said you were feeling run down. Not that you hit a stall. Anyway, I no expert, but this works for me.

Buena suerte.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast