starting strength gym

Thread: Pain in the lower rib cage

Default Pain in the lower rib cage

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    During Monday's workout, on the last set of power cleans (185) I began experiencing pain in a spot on my lower rib cage on my right side, about 2-3 ribs up from the bottom, directly on the side. During today's workout, it was bothersome during squats, but tolerable. Bench caused no problems, but deadlift was killing me. I got through warm up sets of 135 and 185, but picked up 265 (my last warm up set) once and it really hurt. It does not feel like my lats, it's lower and forward of where my lats are.

I know the difference between your ordinary muscle soreness and fatigue and pain. This is definitely the latter. It did not bother me at all when I did bench or when I was doing dips afterwards today, but things that load my torso, especially pulls, cause it to hurt.

Anyone have any experience/suggestions with pain like this? As it stands, I'm going into the gym Friday. Hopefully some good rest will make it all better.

Oh yes, I should add, there's not bruising and it does not hurt when I touch that area.
    Last edited by Nic Kirkland; 07-14-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic Kirkland View Post
    During Monday's workout, on the last set of power cleans (185) I began experiencing pain in a spot on my lower rib cage on my right side, about 2-3 ribs up from the bottom, directly on the side. During today's workout, it was bothersome during squats, but tolerable. Bench caused no problems, but deadlift was killing me. I got through warm up sets of 135 and 185, but picked up 265 (my last warm up set) once and it really hurt. It does not feel like my lats, it's lower and forward of where my lats are.

I know the difference between your ordinary muscle soreness and fatigue and pain. This is definitely the latter. It did not bother me at all when I did bench or when I was doing dips afterwards today, but things that load my torso, especially pulls, cause it to hurt.

Anyone have any experience/suggestions with pain like this? As it stands, I'm going into the gym Friday. Hopefully some good rest will make it all better.

Oh yes, I should add, there's not bruising and it does not hurt when I touch that area.

Could be a strained intercostal? I dealt with one a few months ago, and had to take about 2 weeks off or so. It hasn't bothered me since. Yours doesn't sound quite as bad as mine though, so a few days might do the trick. Mine hurt me on every exercise, including Bench and Dips.