starting strength gym

Thread: Pain in left bicep during bench.

Default Pain in left bicep during bench.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I have been on SS for about 10 weeks now, no real weight training before this. Starting a couple weeks back at about 197 1/2 pounds I have had an increasing amount of pain in my left arm whenever I bench press. I reread the bench press chapter and I believe I'm doing everything about right save that my bar path isn't always straight up and down. I"m wondering if perhaps having to correct it constantly could be aggravating my bicep? Has anyone else had similar pain while bench pressing? My last workout was this morning with 3x5 207 1/2 pounds.

I didn't think the bar path is supposed to be straight up and down on the bench? I thought it goes "backward" toward your head a little bit on the way up? I don't have SS here at work so I could be wrong, but thats what I remembered.

Maybe a form check video will help us see if you are doing something wrong?

I've had similar pain, but mostly just in the form of DOMS, not usually during the lift. It makes some sense since the bicep is lengthening as the bar reaches the chest during the concentric phase of the BP.

I believe the pain I get is in the short head of the bicep tendon (in the armpit) but I'm already out of my depth on anatomy.

If your arm is closer to a 90 degree angle to your torso at the bottom of the lift I believe the stretch will be greater. If you are closer to a 45 degree angle I believe it will reduce the amount of stretch and stress on that particular tendon.

If I don't make it back to shore now... it's been nice blogging with you all.

@briks42. Thanks I will try to get some form videos up soon.

@Colowayno Thank you that is right where the pain is. I'm definitely getting some doms there as well. I will try to pay more attention to my arm angle on the bench, see if that fixes things. Oh and please do make it back to shore!