starting strength gym

Thread: Newcomer

Default Newcomer

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What's going on everyone? I have finished reading Starting Strength approximately a month ago and started working out about 3 weeks ago. I am now 26 Years old 6'2", 195lbs at roughly 15% bodyfat. My training history is minimal. When I was in high school I lifted a couple months on and a couple months off all throughout. At the beginning of this year, I experimented with circuit training and cardio to lose some weight. Now I have a goal of putting on mass with the use of the Starting Strength program. I have a very physical job as an electrician and have been steadily increasing my calories. Right now I am eating around 3500 calories with hoping to get to 4000 by next week.

I started 3 weeks ago and have been working out 3x per week. My workout routine looks like this:

A
    Situps
    Leg Raise
    Squats
    Overhead Press
    Deadlift
    Chins

B
    Situps
    Leg Raise
    Squats
    Bench Press
    Pendlay Rows
    Dips

Now according to the book, it recommends that I deadlift once a week which is what I have been doing. I have been increasing the weights as recommended and started out squatting 140x5 and have gone up to 225x5 while increasing the weight 10 to 15lbs a workout. Everything has been going as planned according to Rippetoe's book.

My problem is, last Thursday while doing overhead presses, I did my normal routine according to Rippetoe's videos. I leaned back a little too far and ended up hurting my lower back muscles. After seeing the doctor I was told that it wasn't major and just to take a week off while doing very light weights for the next week or two when I start lifting again.

My question is, according to my plan, the only thing I am missing that Rippetoe recommends is hyperextensions. Having a home gym consisting of a chinup/dip machine, press rack, bench and a couple of bars I dont have a hyperextension bench. Would you recommend that I get one in order to strengthen my lower back? Also should I listen to the doctor and take the weights light or should I just hit it hard and start right where I left off? I am still continuing my diet as I am not going to let a little injury get in the way of my goals.

I appreciate your help...Also I will be taking video of my lifts next week so you guys can critique.

Quote Originally Posted by mdp1013 View Post
    What's going on everyone? I have finished reading Starting Strength approximately a month ago and started working out about 3 weeks ago. I am now 26 Years old 6'2", 195lbs at roughly 15% bodyfat. My training history is minimal. When I was in high school I lifted a couple months on and a couple months off all throughout. At the beginning of this year, I experimented with circuit training and cardio to lose some weight. Now I have a goal of putting on mass with the use of the Starting Strength program. I have a very physical job as an electrician and have been steadily increasing my calories. Right now I am eating around 3500 calories with hoping to get to 4000 by next week.

I started 3 weeks ago and have been working out 3x per week. My workout routine looks like this:

A
    Situps
    Leg Raise
    Squats
    Overhead Press
    Deadlift
    Chins

B
    Situps
    Leg Raise
    Squats
    Bench Press
    Pendlay Rows
    Dips

Now according to the book, it recommends that I deadlift once a week which is what I have been doing. I have been increasing the weights as recommended and started out squatting 140x5 and have gone up to 225x5 while increasing the weight 10 to 15lbs a workout. Everything has been going as planned according to Rippetoe's book.

My problem is, last Thursday while doing overhead presses, I did my normal routine according to Rippetoe's videos. I leaned back a little too far and ended up hurting my lower back muscles. After seeing the doctor I was told that it wasn't major and just to take a week off while doing very light weights for the next week or two when I start lifting again.

My question is, according to my plan, the only thing I am missing that Rippetoe recommends is hyperextensions. Having a home gym consisting of a chinup/dip machine, press rack, bench and a couple of bars I dont have a hyperextension bench. Would you recommend that I get one in order to strengthen my lower back? Also should I listen to the doctor and take the weights light or should I just hit it hard and start right where I left off? I am still continuing my diet as I am not going to let a little injury get in the way of my goals.

I appreciate your help...Also I will be taking video of my lifts next week so you guys can critique.
    It is beyond me how one damages a back muscle doing presses. The nature of your lesion is probably articular.

Mind you that the program includes power cleans, not rows. If you can manage to do those, do them.

Do weighted sit-ups on an incline board, and dump the leg raises. Do the sit-ups after the main lifts.

Have you read the book?
    Last edited by Carlos Daniel; 07-14-2010 at 10:06 PM.