starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long before 3 plates

Default How long before 3 plates

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    As of today I am squatting 235 lbs for 5 reps.

How long more until I hit 315 lbs?

I want to set a reasonable goal for myself with a time limit, and work towards it, and if I make it, reward myself.

This is important because I'm coming back from a broken foot, and it would be extremely motivating for me. Before breaking my foot my squat was 255... as you can see I lost a LOT of progress.

Sweet a math problem

lets see...315lbs - 235lbs = 80lbs

Assume 5 lbs per recovery cycle (I have no idea what your recovery cycle is.. novice, advanced novice, or intermediate)

80lbs/5 lbs per recovery cycle = 16 recovery cycles.

If you are on the novice progression that will be 16 workouts..approximately a little more than 5 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by KONG View Post
    Sweet a math problem

lets see...315lbs - 235lbs = 80lbs

Assume 5 lbs per recovery cycle (I have no idea what your recovery cycle is.. novice, advanced novice, or intermediate)

80lbs/5 lbs per recovery cycle = 16 recovery cycles.

If you are on the novice progression that will be 16 workouts..approximately a little more than 5 weeks.
    I would say I'm advanced novice. 235 lbs is already 1.5 X BW, I should have mentioned that. I think linear progression slows down from here on, which is why I have no idea how long before the 3 plates.

Ummm I'm thinking I can manage at most 10 lbs per week... making me reach my goal in 2 months.

So 3 plates by mid September. Sounds reasonable? It will leave no room for slacking though.

Keeping in mind that you might have to reset, and a 20 lb reset will take about a week to come back from, make it a goal to get it done in two months, and challenge yourself to get it done in 5 weeks?

Agree with others that I would add a couple of weeks for potential resets. 80 pounds is a long way to go without interruption. Eat and rest enough and you'll get there. 315 by Sept 15 should be a good goal.

Okay thanks guys.

3 plates by September 15 will be the the challenge then.

I think I can definitely make it by the end of September anyhow.

You guys are funny

If I currently squat 385 how long till I lift 5 plates a side.
    a) never
    b) some random mathematical formula
    c) some time later than next week
    d) other

... and just to add to the process I will tell you nothing about my height, weight, age or lifting experience.

.. note my diet is also entirely unknown and I may or may not be male or female.

The correct answer will be announced on TSN later tonight.

So 2 months until a double bodyweight squat... riiiiight.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertFontaine View Post
    You guys are funny

If I currently squat 385 how long till I lift 5 plates a side.
    a) never
    b) some random mathematical formula
    c) some time later than next week
    d) other

... and just to add to the process I will tell you nothing about my height, weight, age or lifting experience.

.. note my diet is also entirely unknown and I may or may not be male or female.

The correct answer will be announced on TSN later tonight.
    Just trying to be positive. For all I know, he could break is foot again every time he gets within 5 lbs of 315 and never reach it. He could get in a car accident and be paralyzed from the waist down and never reach it. Anything can happen...but assuming he works hard and nothing bad happens to him and he eats correctly, he could totally do this in 2 months. A 315 squat is not that difficult to get too.

5 plates a side is a different beast.
    Last edited by Dwayne_KONG_Wint; 07-15-2010 at 07:46 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    "I would say I'm advanced novice. 235 lbs is already 1.5 X BW, I should have mentioned that. I think linear progression slows down from here on, which is why I have no idea how long before the 3 plates."

It should be slowing down from 10 pound jumps to around 5 pound jumps. I don't think plenty of people are still perfectly capable of consistently making 15 pounds a week up until the 300's. So I wouldn't be so fast to label yourself an advanced novice. Make quick progress while you still can.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast