starting strength gym

Thread: setting protein intake

Default setting protein intake

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've read the guideline of 1.5g/kg of lbm for maintaining lean mass while on an extreme diet (eg rfl).

My bodyweight is 100kg atm, and my lbm is around 75-80kg, so according to that, i should be intaking 112.5-120g. But say I want to actually do better than maintenance and want to build some tiny tiny amount of muscle too, so let's work with the ideal lbm, of 85 kg -- ie protein intake to support 85kg lbm is 130g/day.

But 130 doesn't divide evenly into 3 meals, so round off to 45-50g of protein a meal, which amounts to 135-150g a day.

So all i need is 135-150g a day and not 200g as i previously though...

does my analysis work?

The formula you've shown is a general guide. Most members on this site would advise you to probably try a higher protein intake than that per day.

With that being said, the only way that your analysis will be confirmed is if you eat how you have planned and monitor your own progress. Some people (most people) will come in here and tell you that you should probably get more calories from protein and less from carbs'n'fats. If your system works for you however, then fuck them.

Yep but members on this site occupy a mental space of the universe that is starkly at odds with reality, and that's just how it is, (eg, "i'm not 200lb -- time to GOMAD bro!!")

the only way that your analysis will be confirmed is if you eat how you have planned and monitor your own progress. Some people (most people) will come in here and tell you that you should probably get more calories from protein and less from carbs'n'fats. If your system works for you however, then fuck them.
    Thanks!!

At 200g/day i have to eat at LEAST 800 calories a day, which bumps me over 1000kcal/day once you add in that protein comes with other nutrients too (carbs and fat). Nevertheless, the adjustment i am proposing amounts to taking 1 scoop of protein powder instead of 2, and that's it.

I'm about to finish my first week of RFL and have only lost 1kg so far -- so i'm looking to make a few tweaks to improve rate of fat loss in week 2. Cutting protein is one of them, the other is reducing fish oil intake (from 9g to 6g).

Hopefully this will allow me to continue to get stronger while shedding bodyfat.

If you're trying a specific program, it's usually a good idea to follow the program for more than a week before tweaking it, especially if you're not an expert on the subject. As an analogy, see the threads here about YNDTP.

But it's your body and the ultimate test is what works. Observe and monitor carefully.

If you want to build muscle and do RLF, don't do RLF.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    If you want to build muscle and do RLF, don't do RLF.
    When you say that do you mean become ronnie coleman? Because that's not what im talking about, even adding 50g of muscle a week would be great.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by foosion View Post
    If you're trying a specific program, it's usually a good idea to follow the program for more than a week before tweaking it, especially if you're not an expert on the subject. As an analogy, see the threads here about YNDTP.
    Understood.

But it's your body and the ultimate test is what works. Observe and monitor carefully.
    Yep i'm carefully titrating my protein intake downward and i'll see what happens during the week, and take it from there, one week at a time.