starting strength gym

Thread: Quad pain

Default Quad pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I keep getting a sharp pain in the right quad just above where it meets my knee. It only comes on over a certain range of movement - from the bottom position of the squat until i've stood up past parallel.

It's been lurking there a while but I've trained through it (as you do) and i recently stalled on squats and I'm now wondering "is this a just a sign of over-reaching or is this a small injury?". I'm reaching the end of Novice Progression and my worksets have been 5RM's for a while.

There's no bruising and it doesn't hurt to touch. Anyone else had these symptoms? Would a week's layoff help? This'd be the first layoff I've had in ages and I'm not looking forward to it!

Any advice would be apreciated fellas

I had this as well. Massaging the pain directly did not seem to have a lasting effect although it did help on a very short term basis. For me it was strains in the adductor/hamstring/glute that was making me prone to collapsing my knees. Once I got the whole thigh and glute nailed down, I reconcentrated on keeping my knees out and it disappeared.

Yeah, sounds like a form issue to me, too.

By knees collapsing do you mean caving in? Or moving at the bottom of the squat?

I can take a video and have a look

Right I went and did squats tonight and focused on keeping knees out. It felt weird so I had obviously not been doing it before.

It's fixed my leg! the pain has gone. I felt pissweak and actually struggled with a workweight 5kg below my best but i think that was a combo of fatigue (from stalling) and getting used to the new movement pattern.

But thanks guys for the advice it's deifinitely helped. I'm gonna regroup then murder that weight on Friday.