starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadlifts in Texas Method

Default Deadlifts in Texas Method

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So today was my first volume day. How do you lunatics do deadlifts on these days? haha

The last warm up set felt like a workset. Any of you guys do deadlifts on intensity day? If so, how has that been working out for you?

When I ran TM, I did deadlifts on intensity days and it went fine. Personally, intensity days are where they fit best for me.

The first time I did TM, I deadlifted on Volume day. This is masochistic. I just started TM again, and I now do them on Intensity day. I prefer it this way, as I can barely stand up after 5x5 squats.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Intensity days it is!

Glad this thread was already here so I don't have to make one myself.

In reading PP I am not seeing what Rips opinion is on this/ anyone know what he has said about it? I see that some people are experimenting between Monday and Tuesday.

I deadlifted on volume day. It was brutal. For this iteration I'm going to do it on Intensity day. there's no ideal place to put deadlifts, so you just have to compromise a bit

What do you plan to do on Friday stronger? A 1,2,3RM? Or 3x5 or what?

What about a DE deadlift season on a Wed?

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Spit View Post
    What do you plan to do on Friday stronger? A 1,2,3RM? Or 3x5 or what?

What about a DE deadlift season on a Wed?
    I did a 5RM every friday for about 6 months. it worked really well for me. Once I finish linear progression coming back from a layoff, I will probably experiment with a 3RM on fridays, but probably keep the 5RM in my bag of tricks.

DE deadlift on Wed might work, but (and if anyone else knows this, chime in) what is the real difference between that and a powerclean? both are dynamic and include the same movement up until a point.

This might be a question for Rip of the search function doesn't turn up any results. I'll be pulling after I squat and dynamic press/bench on fridays, but it will probably be a rack pull or a halting deadlift, and not the full thing.

This was my first week on TM. I PLANNED on doing them on wednesday "Oh i'll feel great and fresh after light squats"... nuh uh... I knew as soon as I started warming up that I was still blasted from Monday and I needed a true light day. I did them on Friday and felt great after low volume high intensity squats.

starting strength coach development program
    there's a problem with wherever you put them if you plan to do 5x5 squats every week. they suck on volume because you've done 5x5 squats and should be spent. they suck on recovery because you're sore plus the fatigue they put on your back will make squatting on intensity day shit. and if you do them on intensity, 5x5 squats is pretty damn tough on the lower back.

i ended up alternating squat and deadlift weeks eventually, which worked pretty well. i still squatted twice in a deadlift week, but the intensity was never high. but i found that i couldn't make much progress not squatting for an entire week between v/r/i days - which wasn't the case for deadlifting. i actually just pulled a PR after not deadlifting for two weeks and being sick. squats never work like that imo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast