starting strength gym

Thread: Eating on a layoff

Default Eating on a layoff

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm going to Florida in 5 days, and will not be doing any lifting while I'm on vacation. Bite me.

In the meantime, I've got some minor injuries that are stacking up, and I'm thinking about just taking a 10 day break from my novice progression and restart august 1 at 90% of my current weights.

Comments on the stupidity of this idea will be grudgingly accepted, but I really would like to know how one ought to eat during such a period.

Thanks,
    Mike

It depends....

That should clear everything up for you

Quote Originally Posted by KONG View Post
    It depends....
    Ha ha ha, okay well, maybe this helps:

I want to be able to start back in and keep progressing when I get back. I'd rather not gain any weight on my break but don't care to lose any either.

My SS progress in the format of the "SS Results" thread

5/23/10 > 7/20/10
    Age 26 > 26
    Height 5'10" > 5'10"
    BW 185 > 200
    SQ 115 > 245
    DL 165 > 275
    PR 70 > 110
    BP 105 > 165

So I'm thinking drop the milk (1/2 gomad currently), get adequate protein, and just not worry about anything else till I get back lifting. Maybe eat big for a couple of days before my first workout back.

Cut the carbs, including milk, and keep protein intake high.

Try to have some fun out there too. The weights will still be there when you get home.

Why would anyone give you shit for going on vacation?

When I have to take a break from training, I also take a break from eating. For me, the constant search for more and more protein gets old after a while. Eat some pancakes, forget the milk, skip one of your 6 meals if you're not hungry.

Your precious muscle and strength gains will not disappear in 10 days. Nor will you wake up on the 10th day to find yourself a disgusting lard ass.

It takes me about 1 week to get back to my previous weights, but I think this may be more of a neuromuscular thing; the antagonists remember they can relax, fiber recruitment gets back to par, form falls back into its groove, insert other voodoo buzz phrase, etc.

"I am troll, hear me blaspheme"

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by broseph View Post
    When I have to take a break from training, I also take a break from eating. For me, the constant search for more and more protein gets old after a while. Eat some pancakes, forget the milk, skip one of your 6 meals if you're not hungry.

Your precious muscle and strength gains will not disappear in 10 days. Nor will you wake up on the 10th day to find yourself a disgusting lard ass.

It takes me about 1 week to get back to my previous weights, but I think this may be more of a neuromuscular thing; the antagonists remember they can relax, fiber recruitment gets back to par, form falls back into its groove, insert other voodoo buzz phrase, etc.

"I am troll, hear me blaspheme"
    I do exactly this. I find that a break from big eating when you take a break from big lifting is nice for mental restitution. Just think abit about getting a decent amount of meat every day, and enjoy your vacation.