starting strength gym

Thread: DL problems...

Default DL problems...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Last 4 weeks of DLing look kinda like this..

W1 - 451 x5

W2 - 456 x 5

W3 - 461 x 3 (did these on intensity day, instead of volume for laziness issues, failed because of fatigue I think. Took the following week off due to wanting to revert back to DLing on Volume day...)

W5 - 461 x 5 (had to take a mins rest in between reps 4 + 5 because it was soo hard, I marked this as a fail)

MY DL has been going up 10lbs per week until I got to about 440lbs, then I made 5lb jumps because the weight was getting heavy for me. This is the first time i've had problems 2 weeks in a row, is it time to reset? How does resetting the DL work? you back off 10% like in squats and work your way back up? I'm worried if I back off more than 10, i'd lose strength, because it will take me too long to return to my curent pr's as i'm only doing it once per week.

Also, when is the best time to introduce rack pulls and halting DL's? when the DL stops going up weekly? I'ma check PP to see if it's there, i dont think it is.
    Last edited by Aslin; 07-23-2010 at 06:20 AM.

I'd reset back all the way to 405, and do 5 sets of 2 on my DL day, adding 5 lbs each week. You've doubled your volume, and given yourself time to break through the sticking point. Peaks and valleys my friend. You dont have to constantly work around PR to achieve them. I'd Rack pull 3 days after DL day, but only if you feel up to it. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ZKP View Post
    I'd reset back all the way to 405, and do 5 sets of 2 on my DL day, adding 5 lbs each week. You've doubled your volume, and given yourself time to break through the sticking point. Peaks and valleys my friend. You dont have to constantly work around PR to achieve them. I'd Rack pull 3 days after DL day, but only if you feel up to it. Good luck.
    thanks for reply, sorry just checked this thread... Rip has actually told me to sub DL's for rack pulls and Halting DL's. Guess I have to do what the big man says...

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Furthermore, Rip's better at skinning than I am. One of the benefits of what he's recommending is that the partial movements will be easier to recover from and you'll be able to train em more often, and heavier. Certainly gives me something to think about in my own training as well. Good luck.