starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black_Spit Starting Strength

Default Black_Spit Starting Strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi there. I'm an experienced lifter actually. I've done Bill Starr's 5x5 routine in the past, and other strength oriented programs.

My max lifts are:

Bench Press: 315
    Squat and Deadlift: in the 405-425 range

Here's a video of me deadlifting 405 back a couple of years ago:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHg_8Uob2oE

The reason Starting Strength appeals to me right now is that I have allowed myself to fall out of shape, get fat and lose some strength... and powerlifting is of particular interest to me, maybe even competing at some point. In that video, I was about 225, now I'm about 265, and that was only a few years ago. I quit using tobacco (dip) about 8-9 months ago and have overeaten to compensate I guess.

Anyway, I started the routine last Monday. I started light so I wouldn't be immobilized with soreness.

My goals are to lose probably close to 50 pounds an reach some new PR's in the coming months.

I'm using a few supplements right now, too. Jack3d pre w/o supplement, Recreate fat burner, Whey protein and a Vitamin Shoppe multivitamin.

Eating about 250 grams of protein and 3500 calories on days where I can stick to my diet. Otherwise it's more. I need to regain some discipline.

I'm sure there are 100 things I'm leaving out here. But, I'll try to log anything that comes up.

Default Week 2 w/o 2

I lift at 5:00 am, so I am sitting here eating breakfast as I type his morning's workout. 6 whole, omega 3 eggs cooked in Coconut Oil, 2 measured cups dry oats, with cinnamon.

I had a good workout this morning. I'm starting to feel the weights get a little bit heavier. Like I said, I started out pretty light last week (135 lb's on Bench/Squat/Dead) to keep the soreness down some, but, I've bumped up the weights quickly.

Today's workout:
    Squat: 225x5x3
    Press: 95x5x3
    Row: 185x5x3

I started out this week by doing some cardio on Monday and a little bit today as well, but, all that does is increase my appetite even more. Which I really don't need. So I think I will just keep it out for a while, increase my weights every workout and eat 3500-4000 calories and raise my metabolism that way.

One weird thing I do love to do is get in the sauna for 10 minutes after my workout. I have read quite a bit about the benefits, and I even feel it may improve recovery to some degree, but, if you haven't tried it before, you should, it feels great.

That 405 deadlift went up fast! You definetely have lots of potential for big lifts.

Try to incorporate the powercleans instead of rows, and add weight slowly. You are mostly likely only going to be on linear progression for a short time while you catch up your old weights. You may aswell do it at a steady pace, or you might get stuck or suffer injury through poor form.

Id also keep away from fancy supplements till you are back at the big weights and struggling to progress. That stuff is pretty expensive, and the effects are questionable.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Good luck.
    Thanks and I appreciate you stopping in.

Today's workout was fine. I did what I set out to do, but I wasn't much enjoying it. I only slept for about 4:45.

Squats:
    135x5
    230x5x3

Deadlift:
    230x5x3

Bench Press:
    135x5
    205x5x3

I'm really ready to get back into the gym tomorrow and increase my weights.

I'm typing from my iphone temporarily because my laptop is broken so this post is really a test to make sure I will be able to get here and post updates.

Workout felt good this morning. I'm feeling strong and I feel like I can keep plowing through the weights.

Squat:
    135x5
    235x5x3

Rows:
    195x5x3

Press:
    100x5x3
    Last edited by Black_Spit; 07-26-2010 at 09:23 AM.

Today's workout:

Squat: 240x5x3
    Bench Press: 225x5x3
    Deadlift: 240x5x1
    Last edited by Black_Spit; 07-29-2010 at 07:26 AM.

I have what seems to be an enormous spider bite on the inside of my left leg that hurts like hell. It's big/swollen enough and hurts bad enough that I'm going to go to the doctor about it. But I had to skip squats and rows this morning. So I bumped up the volume on Press a little bit.

1x5 45 lb's - warmup
    5x5 105 lb's

Default Week 4 Workout1

Squat 3x5 245 lb
    Press 3x5 110 lb
    Rows 3x5 205 lb

Good workout today but I think I'm going to start doing some cardio after all bc I am just getting bigger lol. I think I will start with 2x week on tue/thu doing 30 minutes.
    Last edited by Black_Spit; 08-02-2010 at 01:15 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Today's workout went as planned:

Squat 3x5 250 lb
    Bench 3x5 230 lb
    Deadlift: 1x5 250 lb
    Last edited by Black_Spit; 08-05-2010 at 07:21 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast