starting strength gym

Thread: Heart Rate

Default Heart Rate

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    As a distance runner I had a resting pulse rate in the low 40's. When I was doing SS and 1/2 GOMAD my resting heart rate was high 70's or low 80's. Now that I've tried to diet off some fat, started sprinting and doing less volume on lifts my heart rate has settled down to the low fifties.

What has your experience been?

I was a little worried that I might have permanently raised my RHR into the 80 range. I now believe it's a natural part of rapid linear progression and nothing to be bothered by.

A positive thing about bringing the RHR up a bit is that I have far fewer dizzy spells upon standing (orthostatic hypotension I believe is the term). At least I think it's related.

Also, did you know having a RHR lower than 60 means you may have a syndrome called bradycardia?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_heart_syndrome

I saw a thread like this in Rips forum but wanted to take it to the street, where the people live.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 07-21-2010 at 02:39 AM.

That wiki page is a disaster from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    That wiki page is a disaster from start to finish.
    The take home is that it's not really a problem for most people, even with very low heart rates. What say you LimieJosh?

Heart rate goes down pretty easily once you do "cardio". It's nothing, really, to worry about.