starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 rep squats + texas method

Default 20 rep squats + texas method

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What do you think of doing 20 rep squats on Monday (volume day) on Texas method?

Do you have practical programming?

It goes into some depth as to why 20 reps is no good for strength training. Sure you want volume on day 1. But You want it to be at fairly heavy weights.

5 sets of 5 is 25 reps. And you can probably do it with 90percent of your 1rm. For 20 reps, you would probably have to use 50 percent and I doubt you'd have enough steam to do more than one set.

It would just train endurance, not the right kind of adaptation to help you hit 1-5RM's on Day 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Do you have practical programming?

It goes into some depth as to why 20 reps is no good for strength training. Sure you want volume on day 1. But You want it to be at fairly heavy weights.

5 sets of 5 is 25 reps. And you can probably do it with 90percent of your 1rm. For 20 reps, you would probably have to use 50 percent and I doubt you'd have enough steam to do more than one set.

It would just train endurance, not the right kind of adaptation to help you hit 1-5RM's on Day 3.
    Yes but it would give me some major hypertrophy. Can 5x5 produce the same effect as 1x20?

What about moving this 20 rep squats to Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Yes but it would give me some major hypertrophy. Can 5x5 produce the same effect as 1x20?
    In PPST2 it mentions several times what gives bodybuilders the most hypertrophy - 3 sets of 8-12 reps with no more than 45 seconds of rest between sets. Anything more than 15 reps will train endurance, not hypertrophy.

Can I just clear something up...

20 rep squats does not mean one set of 20 squats.

It means one set of 10 with your 10-rep MAX ...and then puffing, and wobbling, and another couple of reps, and then more puffing, and panting, and more wobbling, and then another rep, and then another, and then you want to die, and you've still got six reps to go, and when you get through the 18th and 19th rep you're not sure if you're still upright or if you're curled up on the floor dreaming you're squatting, and then you get that last rep and you rack the bar and you're not even sure if you racked it properly or not but you don't even care, and you wonder why all these blurry people are staring at you, and oh, now you really are curled up on the floor...

Quote Originally Posted by aussieluke View Post

It means one set of 10 with your 10-rep MAX ...and then puffing, and wobbling, ........you're not even sure if you racked it properly or not but you don't even care, and you wonder why all these blurry people are staring at you, and oh, now you really are curled up on the floor...

This exactly describes my usual 3x5 training.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    This exactly describes my usual 3x5 training.
    then ur dooin it wrongz

A 20 rep squat program is usually done on it's own. All other assistance work has to be cut down to facilitate recovery. The short answer is - No, it won't work well on a volume day in TM programming. Yes, 5x5 can provide the same type of hypertrophy - if you're eating correctly. 20 reppers are amazing at building mental strength and manliness, but they're not to be toyed with.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob cloud View Post
    A 20 rep squat program is usually done on it's own. All other assistance work has to be cut down to facilitate recovery. The short answer is - No, it won't work well on a volume day in TM programming. Yes, 5x5 can provide the same type of hypertrophy - if you're eating correctly. 20 reppers are amazing at building mental strength and manliness, but they're not to be toyed with.
    Thanks for the response!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast