starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith vs Leg press vs nothing

Default Smith vs Leg press vs nothing

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Guys, going on vacation for a week soon. I called ahead and asked whether the gym has a a squat rack. them-"Sure, we've got one, it's even safe because the bar is fixed on slides with hooks you can turn when you get tired". me-"that's not a squat rack, it's a smith machine" them-"...same thing, only better" me-"thanks, bye".

Anyway, they do have a barbell for the bench press, so I should be good on the rest of the lifts. Recommendations for squatting? They've also got a leg press... I'm thinking week off for squats, continue everything else as normal, and try to continue where I left off when I get home, or take 10lb off and start up. Anybody think it's worthwhile to use Smith or press in the interim?

thanks,
    Ham

BTW, had the kid 3 wks ago, and I've been able to maintain LP-just eating a ton to compensate recovery for sleep deprivation. So far so good.

How good is your clean relative to your front squat? Are you able to clean a weight that you would find a challenging FS weight?

Or can you clean and press a weight that would make a challanging 20-rep squat?

Dude, you have a 3 week old. You need a rest. Don't lift on vacation. That my vote anyway.

Try some other exercises for a week. That could be front squats, but you could also do step-ups, lunges, split squats, good mornings, etc.

Just take a week off, you're on vacation. Unless it's one of those "vacations" where you need to get to the gym to have a vacation from your vacation. In which case, I dunno, just tinker around and figure something out. Deadlifts?

It's a family reunion w/ the in-laws, so while they're great and all, I'll be looking forward to some time away in the gym (or a bar, but I'd catch a raft of shit if discovered)

Congrats on the kid.

If you have the time and want to lift, why not? I think the front squats are the best idea, or playing around with OH squats might be fun. Or even BW jump squats.

Were it me, and leg press or smith machine were the only options, I would do it unless I thought a week off would do me good. Even a moderate load could help maintain pathways, and give me something to do.

Just use the bar with a small amount of weight (less than 100 pounds) and do some complexes.

Without putting the bar down, do:

Row x 8
    Clean x 8
    Front squat x 8
    Military press x 8
    Back squat x 8
    Good mornings x 8

Rest and repeat 2 - 4 more times ...if you can

starting strength coach development program
    As has already been said, you have large amount a lot of good choices.

In addition to the exercises already suggested. You could actually try using you legs for what they were made for. Walking, Running & Jumping!

I dont know where you are on vacation, but you can be sure that scrambling up a moutain covered in rocks & boulders will give you a very special leg workout. It will really challenge the stability of your knees & ankles too.

You could try sprints and vertical jumps. Rip has mentioned that 3x20 vertical jumps (from a hands on the floor) is a good vacation squat substitute.

You could do the infamous rear elevated single leg squat, which many coaches hail as the ultimate leg exercise. I never got on with it, but you might.

Also fun stuff like Zercher & Hack Squats.

You could try a brief Deadlift & Press programme like Pavel's Russian Bear. Which lasts 3 weeks or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast