starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 5-3-1 routine, any advice?

Default My 5-3-1 routine, any advice?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been training for about 7 months, currently on a Texas method type routine. Because of time constraints I will eventually switch to a 5 3 1 type routine. I have access only to a power rack, bench, dumbbels and dip station. I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions, ideas, opinions that might help me design a program. This is what I had in mind so far:

Press Day
    Dips 5x10
    Chinups 5x10-15

Squat Day
    Squats 4x10 (50%)
    RDLS 3x10
    Ab Rolls (using the barbell)

Bench Day
    Dumbbell Bench Press 5x8-12
    Pullups 5x10-15

Deadlift Day
    Deadlift 4x10 (50%)
    Bulgarian Split Squats 4x8-12 (using dumbbels)
    Hanging leg raises 3x15-20

Been training for a total of 7 months? Use a linear programs like 5x5 or Starting Strength. TM and 5/3/1 are slower and less effective for a novice lifter.

Looks like too much work on your lower body days. You're already doing 4 sets of 10.

Goals? Stats?

Stats:
    7 months ago:
    Bodyweight: 160 lbs
    Deadlift: 115x5
    Squat: 95x5
    Bench: 85x5
    Press: 55x5
    Current:
    Bodyweight: 195 lbs
    Deadlift: 295x5
    Squat 245x5
    Bench 155x5
    Press 105x5

I did Starting Strength for 6 months. 1 month on the Texas Method, but I want to give 5-3-1 a shot due to limited time.

My specific target goals within 1 year are:
    Bodyweight: 210 lbs.
    Deadlift: 365
    Squat: 275
    Bench: 185
    Press: 135

My general goal is just to get stronger using my time as efficiently as possible. I can't spend over 1 hour training.

You aren't an intermediate yet. I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings, but until you can at least bench press your own body weight then you need to stay on simple linear progression. And from your stats I think you probably aren't squatting low enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dell Whitley View Post
    And from your stats I think you probably aren't squatting low enough.
    Jesus dude, you are smart. How would you come to that conclusion just by looking at his stats? I'm not being a smart ass.

His deadlift is only 50lb higher than his squat, but his squat is nearly 100lb higher than his bench. No way to know for sure without seeing a video, but the stats don't appear to add up.

Interesting. Good call.

starting strength coach development program
    " until you can at least bench press your own body weight then you need to stay on simple linear progression"

My feelings are not hurt. In all honesty, the bench is my worst lift, I suck at it. I'm one of those dudes with very long arms.
    The press is just as bad.
    My understanding from the search I've done on Rip's posts, is that numbers can be relative. The main reason why he got rid of the tables on PP 2nd version, is because people kept looking at them as a way of determining at what stage in their training they were.
    As for myself, I have followed SS carefully for 6 months. I switched to TM because I was no longer making progress on the beginner program as described on Rip's books, even with 2 resets on the squat and 1 on the deadlift. I did followed all Rip's recommendations to the T.
    TM works well for me now, but the volume day and even the PR day take me too long and with my schedule as it is, it is no longer doable.
    I understand that 5-3-1 would mean slower progress, but it is still progress.

"And from your stats I think you probably aren't squatting low enough."

Believe me, I"m squatting low enough. One thing I have going for me, is flexibility on my hamstrings. For some reason, as soon as I learned proper technique on the squat from SS, it took off. It took me a little longer to master proper technique on the deadlift, which may explain why it didn't move up as quickly. But again, this is not an exact science. As long as I'm adding weight to my lifts, I'm happy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast