starting strength gym

Thread: chins program?

Default chins program?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been doing 3 sets of bodyweight chins 3x per week after barbell lifting. It's taken me a long time to build from assisted chins to 10 reps and am trying to figure out how to proceed.

In another thread, blowdpanis suggests

Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    Imho, weighted chins respond pretty much to the same things as everything else does. Which, in my book, are:

* High-ish frequency (2-3+ times per week)
    * Heavy but submaximal loads (lots of stuff in the 70-85% range) using low-ish reps (sets of ~3-5)
    * Cycling of volume/intensity. I.e. periods where you focus a bit more on getting a lot of tonnage, other periods where you tap into your limit strength.
    Is this the consensus view or is there something better?

video proof-wise blow d pay nis is the king on this forum.

he told me to 3x3 2-3x per week adding no more than 2.5lbs every time. but only add if reps are crisp and not forced.

worked so far for me.

though if you know elitefts.com, harry selkow the "pullup guy" there told me that the above method is ok towards achieving a limit chinup weight which my goal at the moment is.

although he said he does
    3x3
    4x3
    5x3
    5x4
    5x5 with the same weight then add, then repeat.

but bear in mind that there is no written literature for chinning greatness (correct me if i am wrong) probably because it is just an assistance lift so why worry about programming it for maximal weight. just experiment on your own and see what works.

I'm trying something TMish.

I'm doing 5x5's for volume with as much weight as I can handle on Monday, and a single low rep set on Friday.

Tonight I'm trying for 1xBW+80lbs.

Edit: got it!
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 07-23-2010 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    but bear in mind that there is no written literature for chinning greatness (correct me if i am wrong) probably because it is just an assistance lift so why worry about programming it for maximal weight. just experiment on your own and see what works.
    My current goal is not to fall apart (being an older sort), which I hope to do by getting stronger.

Getting stronger at chins seems as reasonable a goal as getting stronger at, for example, presses, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by foosion View Post
    My current goal is not to fall apart (being an older sort), which I hope to do by getting stronger.

Getting stronger at chins seems as reasonable a goal as getting stronger at, for example, presses, isn't it?
    Chins are cool. I'm 47 and I like these as well as anything else I'm up to at the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by foosion View Post

yeah well you have a point. plus your the only one doing in the gym which is cool.

It's even cooler at the gym I go to now. The bar is so high I have to stand on a 24" plyo box to reach it. I stay up on high through all of my sets looking down at the riff-raff below me, only descending to re chalk my hands, clearly dominating the gym.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    I stay up on high through all of my sets looking down at the riff-raff below me, only descending to re chalk my hands, clearly dominating the gym.
    I think that's my favorite sentence posted on this site so far. Well played sir, well played.