starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taco Bell and Double Cheeseburgers: Linear Progression Done Right

Default Taco Bell and Double Cheeseburgers: Linear Progression Done Right

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Background: My linear progression had stalled for about 3 months, but a month and a half ago, I landed a position as a valet boy. With my hard earned money, I decided to see how 3 McChickens PWO would fare me for a week. The result: 2 pounds gained that week, and a continued habit of fast food engorgement PWO ever since.

Over a month and a half, I've grown from 180 to 190 lbs and my lifts have done this:

Sq: 235 > 275x5
    BP: 180 > 205x5
    OHP: 115 > 135x3
    PC: 155 > 175x3
    DL: Can't remember > 315x5
    (Note that I when I was stalled the starting numbers were higher, but I lost a bit of strength due to a month long break - some of the rapid gains were simply from regaining that strength)

Other info:

I've been going with 3 grilled chicken burritos from Taco Bell PWO (1280 calories, 53 g protein for $3.25). I occasionally go with 3 double cheeseburgers from McDonalds.

I haven't gained a noticeable amount of bodyfat. I'm only trying to gain as much as I need to continue linear progression, and 2 lbs a week feels right and has sustained progress.

For those wondering: why not GOMAD instead? GOMAD became ineffective and was either making me very fat or putting on a shitload of water weight. Either way, I didn't like the way it was making me look. Still relying on half a gallon of 2% milk daily, though.

I do not plan to do this forever. In general, I find the concept of fast food disgusting and over reliance on it outside of vigorous physical activity to be undesirable.

Let's do this. Hoping for a 200 lbs BW and a 3 wheel squat by the end of August!

Yesterday: July 29th, 2010

Squat: First set of 280 x 5 felt good, barely got the second set. Only got one rep for set 3, form was falling apart from fatigue and a hurting adductor (stance too wide?). Should've taken 2 days off from deadlifts.

Bench: 207.5 x 5 x 2, then tried 210 but barely missed the last rep. I'll try it again after next workout

2 Double Cheeseburgers PWO, ate 3 chicken burritos today. Valet tonight and tomorrow... always makes me hungry afterward and doesn't interfere with my squat strength too much

Monday, August 2

Squat - 285 x 5 x 3

Funny how you can learn something new every time you squat even a year later. Getting tight at the bottom is not going to happen if you just plop down into the hole expecting it to. It's a bitch - you have to set your back at the start, shove your knees out, while keeping your back tight and weight balanced.

OHP - 140 x 3 x 3

I'm starting to greatly prefer sets of 3.

Power cleans - 180 x 3 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post

OHP - 140 x 3 x 3

I'm starting to greatly prefer sets of 3.
    I like sets of three in this too. Lots of folks do, whom I've spoken to, at least in regards to overhead work.

-S.

Nice lifts there! (I was like holy ***, 180lbs power clean!)
    Have you seen the documentary 'Supersize me'?

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    I like sets of three in this too. Lots of folks do, whom I've spoken to, at least in regards to overhead work.

-S.
    Omg, he still posts!!111

I think that if you can make progress with 5 reps, then stick with it. But so many people log their pressing frustrations - months and months stuck on the same weight. Of course, an increase in bodyweight is surely accountable for my gains. But the deal is, shit just falls apart on those last 2 reps. Never has any lift been so consistently difficult and SLOOOOOOOW as the final 2 reps of a 5 rep set of overhead presses. With sets of 3, the last rep is difficult and heavy, but it doesn't feel like you're pushing upwards against a ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankannan View Post
    Nice lifts there! (I was like holy ***, 180lbs power clean!)
    Have you seen the documentary 'Supersize me'?
    I have. Too bad that guy didn't do some heavy lifting alongside that diet, he could have made some serious gains

Wednesday, August 4

Squat - 290 x 5 x 2 and 290 x 4 x 1

Put a belt on today. I paid attention to keeping my back tight, because the last time I wore a belt I had a painful lower back injury. Something about wearing a belt can make you forget to stay tight and go too deep. 295 should be easy - can't wait to see that 35 next to the two 45s! And I'll finally be at 300 Monday!

Bench press - 210 x 5 x 3

Missed the last rep on the last set. Spotter was really distracting and had his head where I usually look on the ceiling - awkward eye contact while bench pressing is almost as bad as having a mirror right in front of you while squatting, so I looked down more. Bar path may have suffered as a result.

Ab shit - got into a sit up position on the standing ab cable machine and held 120 lbs isometrically for a few seconds, did this a couple of times

And I had 3 McChickens PWO. Don't tell me how little chicken they use to make that shit, ignorance is bliss

I actually weigh less than I thought. I'm now at 190 without any clothes on. I'll probably gain a bit of water weight as I supplement creatine from now on
    Last edited by Nauticus; 08-04-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Friday, August 6

Squat - 295 x 5 x 1.. and then it all fell apart. Only 2 reps on the second set, didn't bother with the third. I occasionally get days like this where I can only manage the first set of a new weight. I think it happens when your CNS recovers but your muscles do not. I haven't been gaining weight, and this kind of problem usually arises when I progress without doing so.

OHP - 142.5 x 3 x 1.. same shit as above.

Considered deadlifts.. and said fuck that. Not enough spunk was left in me. Instead,
    Power cleans - 182.5 x 3 x 3. Power cleans are always fun when they go right
    Last edited by Nauticus; 08-06-2010 at 05:02 PM.

We all have our bad days

starting strength coach development program
    nice cleans tho!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast