starting strength gym

Thread: Femur bone bruise

Default Femur bone bruise

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dumb question...probably a shot in the dark...but I'll give it shot.

Does anyone have any experience with bruises of the femur?

I currently have bruise in my knee on the anterolateral condyle and in the trochlear groove. Hurts like hell to get into the deadlifting position and squatting anything over 300 makes it flair up.

I've had it for a while and tried training through (for over 10 weeks) it but it never got better. The doctor recommended four to six weeks off. So I stopped doing exercises that involve a lot of knee flexion/extension. Currently, I'm working only with goodmornings and romanian deadlifts (with no pain) as a weak substitute for squatting and deadlifting.

I'm currently almost at four weeks off of exercises involving painful knee flexion. While it does feel improved, it isn't better.

Anyone have any clue on how long it takes for a bruise like this to at least stop hurting?

A bruise inside your knee sounds very unusual.

I would personally keep the leg moving to encourage blood flow. Also take plenty of, Vitamin C, Zinc-Magnesium-Calcium, Fish Oil, Glucosamine & Chondroitin.

How on earth did you manage that, man?
    Sounds unpleasant.

I don't have any experience, with it, so I'm useless, unfortunately.
    But, here's an article that might have some different info than from your doc:

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/200...ent-diagnosis/

I've no idea if it's sound or not, but icing it a lot seems wise, at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    How on earth did you manage that, man?
    Whilst walking out a squat in a crappy non-level rack I nearly lost balance with the bar and stomped my way out of falling with over 400 lbs on my back. This was about 14 weeks ago. I kept squatting on it because I didn't know what it was and didn't want to be a pussy. Then 4 weeks ago, I found out what it was and realized that "not being a pussy" was stopping it from healing. So I'm doing what I can, and trying my best to not be a pussy but also to give the knee some room to heal.

Just to elaborate on my reccomendation for Vitamin C.

There are people who bruise easily (not necesarrily you), they are usually Vit C defficient.

Upping intake of Vit C literally fixes bruises.

In addition to this, Calcium & Vit C work together to create collagen in the body. Collagen is the main component of connective tissues, ligaments/tendons/cartilage etc..

So I would make a guess that these two things would help you a lot.

Collagen is a group of naturally occurring proteins. In nature, it is found exclusively in animals, especially in the flesh and connective tissues of mammals.[1] It is the main component of connective tissue, and is the most abundant protein in mammals,[2] making up about 25% to 35% of the whole-body protein content. Collagen, in the form of elongated fibrils, is mostly found in fibrous tissues such as tendon, ligament and skin, and is also abundant in cornea, cartilage, bone, blood vessels, the gut, and intervertebral disc.

My daily multi-pack has 1000mg of Vit C which is supposedly 1667% of what is needed per day. So, I'm not sure upping my Vit C intake is going to be effective. It also has 1000mg of calcium which is supposedly 100% of what is needed per day....maybe I'll up that a little. I'm sure I was getting more than 100% when I was GOMAD-ing on top of taking my multi pack.

GOMAD has a shitload of calcium

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by KONG View Post
    Whilst walking out a squat in a crappy non-level rack I nearly lost balance with the bar and stomped my way out of falling with over 400 lbs on my back. This was about 14 weeks ago. I kept squatting on it because I didn't know what it was and didn't want to be a pussy. Then 4 weeks ago, I found out what it was and realized that "not being a pussy" was stopping it from healing. So I'm doing what I can, and trying my best to not be a pussy but also to give the knee some room to heal.
    Yeah, that seems like it would do it. Ouch. Hope it responds to you giving it a break, and you can get back to the business of squatting.