starting strength gym

Thread: Back Extentions... for the birds

Default Back Extentions... for the birds

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ive noticed over the last 2 months that incorporating back hyperextentions- as outlined in Rips advanced novice program- have been killing my deadlift progress. Back extentions are just too much on top of squats and powercleans, and my lower back cannot recover from them.

The weeks I took back extentions out of my program, Ive been able to add 10 pounds to my DL (now at 405.) As soon as I put them back in, forget about it, I can't break the deadlift off the floor.

Anyone experience anything similar? And will there come a point in my training when back extentions might become useful?

Personally I think GM's and extensions are a must in strengthening the posterior chain. You have to know when and how to add them though b/c to much will be detrimental as you stated.

I don't train using Rip's methods so I can't comment on how to add them into your routine.

Personally, I perform GM's every week in some variation and have noticed it help my dealift. I personally think a strong posterior chain is the determining factor when you want to dealift heavy (over 500lbs).

Is it possible that they are in fact helping, its just the adaptation doesnt show up until you de-load/decrease the amount of low back work that you do.This is quite common. Whilst you are doing the extensions you may simply have too much resiual fatigue too display your strength, even though they are ultimately helping your prosterior chain strength

I found the opposite effect to the OP. I could not really deadlift well at all till I started doing good mornings. I dont know how different it is doing somethin glike a GH raise compared to a GM.

But the whole point of GM's is to do them pretty light. Its the massive poundages with deadlifts that make them hard to recover from and do frequently.

I do GM's with only about a third or quarter of what I do deadlifts with. 15-20 reps. Full range, roundbacked. It helps gives you muscle pump in the low back, helps recovery and perhaps even hypertrophy, and also lubricates the spine.

Flat backed heavier good mornings are a very different experience, a lot of intense strain on the hamstrings. I guess that could potentially kill deadlifts if you trained them too heavy.

What set/rep/weight scheme are you using and when are they programmed in?